This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can not get WiFi working on kubuntu.

I requested a free kubuntu CD a few weeks ago and it finally came today. its 9.04, and for some reason i can not get wifi working. im not sure where to even start, i am familiar with some of the commands concerning ndiswrapper, iwconfig, ifconfig, and lspci.

I put the linksys cd in the tray, and i did these into my terminal.

sudo ndiswrapper -i DRIVER.INF
    sudo ndsiwrapper -m
    modprobe ndiswrapper

and its telling me "driver installed, hardware present"
    but when i try and do an: iwlist scanning, wlan0 never comes up with any SSIDs.

Wireless card: Linksys WMP54GS, PCI card.

any ideas anyone?? thanks in advance!

Re: Can not get WiFi working on kubuntu.

I happen to have that same card and installed the winXP diver the same way exept...........

first I copeyd the files to a folder in home that I calde drivers.
    then opend a console in the folder.
    then the ndiswrapper stuff

Code:
    ndiswrapper -i net5416.inf
    ndiswrapper -m
    ndiswrapper -ma
    ndiswrapper -mi
    modeprobe ndiswrapper
    I'v found I have better luck with ndiswrapper if I use all the -m options !!!!!!!

after that it's just a matter of using the the network manager to find and choose a network.
    I get my wirless on login evey time. 8)

VINNY

OOPS--mines a WMP110 but still.
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Vinnywright, i did everything you said but for some reason things still aren't working. the network manager returns no results when i attempt to scan for available wireless networks.

iwlist says:

wlan0 Failed to read scan data : Resource temporarily unavailable

Comment

strang how about ....iwconfig and ifconfig.

a lot of pepol are geting beter luck with wicd as well.

the onley other thing I can think of that I did diferent was I did it originaley in 8.04hardy and then ditro upgraded to 9.04 jaunty.
        ?

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by TuNiX
          Vinnywright, i did everything you said but for some reason things still aren't working. the network manager returns no results when i attempt to scan for available wireless networks.

iwlist says:

wlan0 Failed to read scan data : Resource temporarily unavailable

Are you running the system from the live CD? When I did that I found it almost impossible to connect to my home network using WPA encryption (using the network manager plasmoid). I could connect to it if I removed the encryption however. When I tried the gnome-network-manager everything was working alright even with the encryption.

I read somewhere that starting the KDE wallet had solved the problem for some people, however the wallet did not work correctly for me from the live CD. I decided to install anyway knowing I could always use gnome-network-manager if things didn't work out, or WICD. Having finally installed Kubuntu I started kwallet and tried to connect, it did not work but I remember reading about someone having to open the wallet and enter the password manually. Apparently the password has to be entered in two places, and the wallet only saves it in one, so I entered my password in the field and logged out and then in again. After that everything was working.
          Registered Linux user #481882

Comment

Working...
          X