X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu + DVI output = black screen

Hi,

How can I use DVI output, of my integrated ATI radeon xpress 1250 VGA card? I have to use VGA, because DVI is not working. On my VGA output the quality is poor with my LCD monitor. On DVI I see only black screen. During start up DVI is ok, but when x serwer starts, then I have only balck screen. How can I use DVI output instead of D-SUB with KDE ?

best regards

Re: kubuntu + DVI output = black screen

Maybe it is not the case, but I have seen several posts, where there was a black screen on start and desktop effects was on blame. If you have desktop effects on in System Settings - Desktop, you can try to switch them off with VGA and then try DVI.
    Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

I have disabled all effect by default. I change settings of display, and the DVI output is ok in 1024x768 resolution. In higher there are problems. I need 1600x1200 for my monitor.

Comment

Possibly you would need to edit both xorg.conf and krandrrc if you're on Intrepid or Jaunty. For Hardy I have no idea what to do in order to get a higher resolution on screen.
        Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
        Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
        Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
        Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Sorry for the stupid question, but this happened to me many times: Are you pretty sure, that your monitor is able to display resolution 1600x1200 with required frequency?

Comment

Hi,

Yes, I'm sure With windows XP everything is ok, graphic card output is detected automatic and I have no problems (also with 1600x1200, 60 Hz). There is no info "Signal out of the range" on my screen. I also tried extend graphic card memory in BIOS (its integrated card with motherboard), but no results.

Thanks for replays,
            all help is appreciated

Here is my xorg.conf (kubuntu 9.04):
            Code:
            Section "Monitor"
            	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
            EndSection

Section "Screen"
            	Identifier	"Default Screen"
            	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
            	Device		"Configured Video Device"
            EndSection

Section "Device"
            	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
            	Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"
            	Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "CRT,TV"
            EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
            	Option	"DontZap"	"True"
            EndSection

Comment

Now I know I can't help you, přeprašam . Two notes:
              - I think Kubuntu offers the most it is able to offer by default. I got last week during installation 1600x1200 on 17"CRT and I needed 1024x780
              - I had two years ago the same problem with Knoppix. The only solution was to change the distro, luckily Kubuntu was at hand.

Comment

Working...
              X