This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do I find new programs installed?

Twice I've used kpackagekit to install programs (1. clive; 2. the King James Bible) and it showed to have installed these. But where do I look for it so as to launch/open it? I've checked APPLICATIONS and they aren't there.
    Kubuntu 9.04 installed within Windows Vista Home Premium. HP Compaq Presario V3304.

Re: Where do I find new programs installed?

I am not sure about the bible, but clive is a command line utility, so you have to launch it from the Konsole with some parameters to make it do anything useful.

Maybe you instlled just the text of the bible and not the gui? There is a pachage bible-kjv and then there is bible-kjv-text. I think you need bible-kjv to have a gui that you can launch from the application menu.

Comment

You don't need to know where it is to launch/open it...

1) If you have KDE 4 there should be a place at the top of your Kmenu to run a program. Type the name there.

2) If you press Alt+F2 you should get a run command. Type the name there

3) If you open a Terminal you can type the name there.

If you really want to know how to find it e.g. you are manually adding it to your menu, there are a few commands that are useful:

1) which [filename]. See http://www.computerhope.com/unix/uwhich.htm

2) whereis [filename]. See http://www.computerhope.com/unix/uwhereis.htm

3) and maybe: find [filename]. See http://www.computerhope.com/unix/ufind.htm
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by cleb
        I am not sure about the bible, but clive is a command line utility, so you have to launch it from the Konsole with some parameters to make it do anything useful.

Maybe you instlled just the text of the bible and not the gui? There is a pachage bible-kjv and then there is bible-kjv-text. I think you need bible-kjv to have a gui that you can launch from the application menu.
        I checked and both are installed.
        Kubuntu 9.04 installed within Windows Vista Home Premium. HP Compaq Presario V3304.

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
          You don't need to know where it is to launch/open it...

1) If you have KDE 4 there should be a place at the top of your Kmenu to run a program. Type the name there.

2) If you press Alt+F2 you should get a run command. Type the name there

3) If you open a Terminal you can type the name there.
          Re:
          1 - I typed it in but it would only offer to look it up in the web
          2 - The run command appeared but when I typed "bible-kjv" or "bible-kjv-text" nothing opened
          3 - I typed the same thing and it said "command not found". I think you have to tell me literally what I have to type in as I'm still not getting the hang of this. Thanks!

Comment

Clive

The Clive website is not a great help.

Look at http://www.ubuntugeek.com/download-v...in-ubuntu.html

Basically when you go to the YouTube site, RIGHT click on a picture and choose Properties. This will give you an Address at the top. (Copy)

Then open a Terminal and input:
            clive [address] (Paste)
            Bible

If it's any solace I haven't got this to work yet either...
            "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
            "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Just out of curiosity I installed it (on 9.04) and it starts when you type
              Code:
              bible
              into the terminal.
              Code:
              bible ?
              will give you some help.

Comment

Well, i installed the bible just to see it myself, and it seems that it is a command line utility as well. Try bibletime, that one should have a gui.

Comment

Working...
                X