• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet. VirtualBox Host:Win 7 Guest:Kubuntu 8.10

I cant get kubuntu to:

A. connect to a network
    B. get internet from the network
    C. get internet from the host os
    D. mount the usb modem, all other usb devices mount fine, but not my HSDPA modem.

Any ideas? tried reading the virtual box help files on NAT but they were no help. tried changing the ip address and default gateway of the VirtualBox host only network icon in Windows network connections...

I need the internet in kubuntu to access the repositories...

Thank in advance!
    Peace, Love n' Beats (as Dennis Ruyer says)

Re: Internet. VirtualBox Host:Win 7 Guest:Kubuntu 8.10

We'll need considerably more information about your setup to have any chance of helping.

Wired or wireless networking?
    Is Kubuntu the host or the guest OS?
    What is the other OS?
    What is your network adapter? ( lspci -vv should show it )
    What is the make and model of that modem?

It actually sounds like your question might belong on the virtual box forum, but we can take a look at it if you provide more details about your hardware and configuration.

Comment

Its a wired connection. My host os is windows 7 and the gues os is kubuntu 8.10 (put that in the title)

The modem is a novatel wireless HSUPA Modem.

I typed in that command in konsole, which part of the output do u need, its rather a long output.

Peace, Love n' Beats (as Dennis Ruyer says)

Comment

Ooops -- I should have read the title for "meaning" not "subject category"!

There should be a line in the output that resembles:

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 30a5
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 2299
        Region 0: Memory at e3100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
        Region 2: I/O ports at 1000 [size=32]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: e1000e
        Kernel modules: e1000e
        That will tell what the network adapter hardware is.

p.s. my buddy at work was supposed to give me a Win 7 Beta installation CD this week, which I am going to try to install on VMWare, but he let me down.

Comment

Hope this helps:

Code:
          00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970 [PCnet32 LANCE] (rev 40)                                    
              Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970 [PCnet32 LANCE]     
              Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-                          
              Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-                         
              Latency: 64 (1500ns min, 63750ns max)                  
              Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 19                    
              Region 0: I/O ports at c020 [size=32]                  
              Region 1: Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]    
              Region 2: Memory at f0080000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]   
              Kernel driver in use: pcnet32                      
              Kernel modules: pcnet32
          Im really liking windows 7, its far better than vista. Also enjoying kubuntu... nice for a change of pace from vista and xp.

I posted on the virtualBox forum, maybe that will yeild some methods that may help my problem
          Peace, Love n&#39; Beats (as Dennis Ruyer says)

Comment

i dont think those details will help, they look generic to me, as if generated by virtual box
            Peace, Love n&#39; Beats (as Dennis Ruyer says)

Comment

Working...
            X