X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyboard stops responding after login - FIXED

Please help.

I cannot recall changing any of my keyboard settings recently, but about 2 days ago, my keyboard stopped working. At first I thought it was a hardware issue and I left it as I was in the middle of humongous download.

Since then I have rebooted after removing and reinserting the plug, replaced the keyboard etc. It turns out that the keyboard works up to the login screen, but as soon as I have logged in the keyboard stops working, I cannot even switch Numlock on or off.

I tried setting all the keyboard settings in kcontrol to the defaults. Previously I set it to one of the Memorex keyboards to get all the weird and wonderful buttons on my keyboard working. I have now gone back to US keyboard, standard 101 layout, and still nothing.

Is there any config file in my profile I can delete to get the system to recreate it or treat the keyboard as a plain vanilla 101?

Thanks

Re: Keyboard stops responding after login

the same problem. In Ubuntu everything works fine but in Kubuntu, working only Caps Lock, Num Lock ... There was some message, for activateing something (slow motion or something) I pressed continue and keyboard stopped to respond.

Comment

in system settings > regional settings > keyboard layout you can setup different types of keyboards...

hope that helps.

Comment

hmm. rereading it I saw that you did that already...

sorry, can't help

Comment

Settings>Regional&Accessibility>KeyBoard Filters

Comment

Originally posted by uhrbizz
            Settings>Regional&Accessibility>KeyBoard Filters
            thx. got a non english kde...

another thought...

maybe reconfiguring the Xorg Server helps!?

try
            Code:
            sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
            but be careful not to mess up your video settings on the way...

Comment

Found some posts in the ubuntuforums:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=186689
              http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=187896

Looks like it could be the Bios settings...

Comment

Hi all

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. (Wow, 6 posts in 24 hrs !!)
                I have been a PC support engineer (desktops and servers) for the dark side for about 10 years, so I am experienced with the BIOS etc.

I am dualbooting with XP, and the keyboard works fine in XP, hence i doubt that the BIOS is the cause, but I'll try it out later nonetheless.

Dapper has been runing on my PC for about 2 months now and the keyboard worked fine, just stopped one day out of the blue. Uhrbizz mentioned he pressed something and I just realized I may have done that same thing in my last session . I leaned over the PC to close the (glass) window and it mentioned something about me holding down a key (shift?) for 8 seconds. I guess this is similar to Windows's StickyKeys. I cannot remember what I pressed, most likely Esc or Cancel or something, I was not really paying attention, but I did not want that particular feature activated.

Can someone please guide me how to get to it and recommend some settings? I don't know what the setting should be or where to find it. The keyboard works up to the point where I log in, I can still type my name and password to log in. Console logins also works fine, but when X starts things go pear shaped.

Alternatively, is there a file in my profile (.xxxxxxx) that I can delete to get back to default settings?
                I HATE booting Windows, but KDE allows me to use mouse only, No keyboard. The Caps Lock and NumLock LED's does not even come on when I press the keys....

UPDATE:

Padre999: I checked the BIOS and although I have seen it before, my BIOS does not seem to have the "enable Legacy USB Support" or similar option. I ran the xserver reconfigure, and although my problem is still there, the bootup resolution is now right (from the login screen) I switched to the K7 kernel a while ago, and the resolution went screwy, but I did not bother to fix it. This looks much better now.

I ran the reconfigure and then startx. I could then use the keyboard in the X session. I rebooted, believing it is fixed and found the keyboard is still dead. BTW, this is true in the standard kernel as well, so it must be a config thing.

Comment

Ok, now I've created a new user with much copying and pasting (char for char), and I am able to use the keyboard again (I can even post this in Linux ) which confirms my suspicion that it is software and that it is profile related. All the same hardware, all the same drivers and libraries, new profile. dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg did not help me, can anyone suggest anything else?

Would I break something if I copied all the hidden files in my new profile to the original profile?

Comment

It was that #%&&%(*#%^#@%#$#@ SlowKeys!!! >

Son of a ^%$$ got activated when I leaned over the keyboard.

Turns out not even ONE of my keypresses were long enough to get input to my PC. I found the setting the hard way in /home/username/.kde/share/config/.kaccesrc and it had the entry SlowKeys = true. If anyone ever has the same problem, delete the file or change true to false.

OR

Run kcontrol
                    Regional & accessibility --> Accessibility --> Keyboard filters --> untick SlowKeys

The keyboard was actually working, you just have to hold down a key for about 2 secs before it registers the keypress - most annoying.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

Comment

Working...
                    X