This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do i set up my wireless internet?

I'm new to linux, just installed 2 says ago after windows 7 on my Vostro 1000. I've been trying to install and use ndiswrapper to get my driver to work following this guide:http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...+Wireless+1390
    i got all the way to installing the driver, which worked fine. But nothing after that step worked. i typed this:
    niklas@niklas-laptop:~/DRIVER_US$ sudo ndiswrapper -l
    WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, it will be ignored in a future release.
    WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.
    bcmwl6 : driver installed
    device (14E4:4312) present (alternate driver: ssb)

i tried following the steps to the end, but after i finished the wifi light on my laptop did not light up. Need help!!

Re: How do i set up my wireless internet?

if your laptop has a wifi "hard switch" then be sure its on .. other wise it might only when connected.. (mine blink on activity) you should also open konsole (find it in your "K" menu) and run
    Code:
    iwconfig
    you should see some thing like

Code:
    lo    no wireless extensions.

eth0   no wireless extensions.

wlan0 <info about your card here>
    if you get the info about your card then the driver is correct...
    and it should be because
    Originally posted by your ndiswrapper output
    bcmwl6 : driver installed
    Originally posted by you ndiswrapper output
    WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, it will be ignored in a future release.
    WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.
    nothing other then a message to the devs of the program

now you can connect using your wifi card. use you network manager to connect. in kubuntu 9.04 the network manager looks diffrent depending on its status. should look like a plug when disconnected,and it is by default near the right edge (next to the "cashew") on the panel on the bottom of the screen. click there to see networks in range click on a networks name to bring up connection settings(i.e set it to auto connect, and encryption key if needed) and then hit the ok (or save) button to connect.

Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

i ran iwconfig and got that power management was off, and so was RTS thr:Off. Is this the problem? Can i turn it on? srry i cant copy paste its not on this computer.

Comment

more then likely you have a hardware switch to turn on/off your wifi, i have seen a few laptops that use a software switch, but usually its an on by default switch. i have a friend w/ a dell laptop he has to hit FN+f? to turn his on. you could have a similar issue.

what kind of laptop are you using ? make model / sub model .
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
        X