This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Network

SO if anyome remembers my post from about a month ago i wanted to try out kubuntu as my primary OS for my media server, and i have to say i love it, it has since become my primary on both my PC's and i havent booted into windows unless to work with my blackberry. So I have setup my web browser, Bit tottent, media server (mediatomb is amazing by the way) but i am having 2 really big hurdles, I have yet to get my printer/scanner to work (Brothers MFC240C) and cannot seem to get file sharing working, I want all the files on my media server to be accessable and change able from my laptop.... anyone can help?

Re: Home Network

According to http://openprinting.org/show_printer...rother-MFC240c your printer is never going to work in Linux. It is described as a Paperweight.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

It is somewhat cumbersome to get your printer/scanner to work, but I have done it for a mate.

Check here:

http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/index.html

As for file sharing - depends which OSs you want to talk to each other.
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Can't help with the main thrust of your query, but when you say work with your blackberry, what precisely do you mean?

If you mean backing it up etc then you could try the application barrybackup, which does that job. It's in the jaunty repos.

Comment

for file sharing with windows and linux just google: "setup samba kubuntu". You will find many pages.

Comment

One thing that is often forgotten in samba setup is adding the users smbpasswd. For each user that can share you need to run
            Code:
            sudo smbpasswd username
            and complette what it asks for. After that the smb user will exist and each user can change their own password with smbpasswd.

Comment

Working...
            X