Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accessing orphaned OS on another partition?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accessing orphaned OS on another partition?

I had a dual-boot 8.04 & 9.04 system, but lost access to 9.04 when I reinstalled the Grub bootloader from the 8.04 OS. All I really need to do right now is try to access the partition where the orphaned system is to retrieve some files. Is there a way to access other partitions from one OS? Guess I could just boot the other system using a Grub "live" disk and copy the files to a flash drive, but I'd rather just be able to copy files from one partition to another.

Also I could just add the other OS to the bootloader, if I knew how?
    AMD Athlon 64 4800x2 ; Biostar Tforce 550 ; 2gb ; dual-boot Kubuntu 8.04 & Kubuntu 9.04; Dual-boot XP & Vista.

Re: Accessing orphaned OS on another partition?

UPDATE: Well I was able to activate the partition, and I can access the files. I guess what I really want to do know is add it back to the grub bootloader. I have qgrubeditor installed, but I don't know what type of info it is requesting when trying to add an entry?? If I knew what to look for from the other partition, I could just do a cut-n-paste.
    AMD Athlon 64 4800x2 ; Biostar Tforce 550 ; 2gb ; dual-boot Kubuntu 8.04 & Kubuntu 9.04; Dual-boot XP & Vista.

Comment

I think I understand what you are saying and what you want to do.

I have a dual boot too and usually when adding a new OS which usually includes writing GRUB to the MBR, it does NOT always include the entries for the other OS. For example, when I added Jaunty, I temporarily lost acces to Intrepid.

All I did was, from Jaunty, access the partition with Intrepid /boot/grub/menu.lst and copy the relevant lines (using nano or whatever editor you like).
      Next open /boot/grub/menu.lst and use sudo nano or whatever editor you like
      and add the lines from Intrepid

reboot and now you have the choice of Jaunty or Intrepid
      HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Copying grub files from one bootloader to the other is a good idea, except that it won't know where the added bootloader is since it is on a secondary partition. The grub in the MBR is from the primary sda1 partition, and the one I'm trying to add is on the sda3 secondary partition. The one on the secondary partition was created by the second install and included both OS, but when I reinstalled grub from the primary partition it did not detect the other OS, and the menu.lst entries from the secondary assume it is the MBR, so is ignored when the boot menu is accessed. Oh well, I'll just have to reinstall 9.04 later, but I think I'll put it on another disk so I won't have to deal with partitions.

Comment

principles are here:

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
          esp:
          SECTION 5: Dual-booting

And keep in mind, I'm not real sure that your 8.04 GRUB will boot your 9.04 (because of some inode differences); 9.04 will boot 8.04; but, the how-to will show you the options and techniques.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
          X