X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image viewer on (K)ubuntu

Hi guys, please help.

I need an image viewer. I got hooked to irfanview on windows. Is there an linux alternative that shows also custom exif info in fullscreen mode?

xnview looks really ugly (sorry)

the EXIF info is really important for me.
    thanks

Re: Image viewer on (K)ubuntu

You can still use Irfanview - under Wine. See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine/IrfanView
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

You may encounter problems if you try to run Irfanview with Wine - if you download Irfanview 423.

It is necessary to copy mfc42.dll from XP/Windows/system32 (if you use XP ) before you can install it, but i am still unable to run it successfully.

It may be necessary to install an older version, as i have installed and used Irfanview successfully in the past.

Comment

Hey
        I've been installing various img viewers the previous weeks, but havent't got really THE one.

interesting post here : http://tero.mononen.eu/index.cgi/Blo...08-12-30-00-43

I've tried Irfanview, it works under Wine. you need to load the file mentioned below - mfc42.dll - from linux using winetricks I think. look on google and you'll find pages explaining the process. check this too http://www.wine-reviews.net/wine-rev...e.html#josc584
        But I can't manage to open directly pictures from the file browser. I need to open Irfanwiew first. anyway, it's slow.

XnView was not so bad, but I can't manage to configure the shortcuts in View mode (though new shortcuts are recorded, it kept responding only to old one, but just in View mode. no bug in Main mode), and when you exit full screen, the main window appears minimized. annoying.

Kview doesn't rotate according to EXIF. and it won't come because it's not supported anymore.

I have great hopes in Geeqie, though thumbnails are not rotated according to EXIF. but it looks promising, it's fast, and you can configure shortcuts, though not easily. After hours of search, I found this post where it says where to find the config file http://www.nabble.com/new-user,-some...d22045913.html

EYE of Gnome is not so bad, for a view-only app. Anyway my recent conclusion is that you've got to use separate software to browse, view and make albums/tag. Look for information on conflicts (on Kubuntu Intrepid 8.10) between packages before trying Digikam or KPhotoAlbum.

Good luck !
        Single boot Kubuntu12.04 on Zepto NoxA14 Intel Dual Core 2GHz (64-bit), RAM 4Go, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT

Comment

for Irfanview on Wine
          Code:
          $sudo aptitude install wine 
          //install wine
          $wget [url]http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks[/url] 
          //install winetricks (to get the needed .dll working)
          $sh winetricks mfc42 
          //(install the matching .dll file needed to run irfanview)
          then download irfanview and go open Konsole in the directory
          Code:
          $wine 'irfanwiew_setup_filename.exe' //replace with downloaded file name
          then the following didn't work for me :
          K->wine config, add application etc ...  (so I don't have irfanview under the Winde folder in the launcher)

in K menu editor, add appli shortcut in 'graphics' with the command :
          Code:
          cd /home/xxx/.wine/dosdevices/c:/"Program Files"/IrfanView; wine i_view32.exe
          Single boot Kubuntu12.04 on Zepto NoxA14 Intel Dual Core 2GHz (64-bit), RAM 4Go, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT

Comment

Gwenview can show metadata in the navigation bar in fullscreen mode (The exact metadata shown is configurable by clicking the 'wrench' icon).

Maybe you've already tried gwenview and found out it's not a perfect fit for you, but I thought I'd mention it (since you didn't)

Comment

Thanks guys. I decided to install irfan.
              As it was written, the newest version - 4.23 doesnt work...

So I installed the older one and it works. BUT!!!

I expected irfan to run in its own window so I can do fullscreen and resize etc. but irfan is closed within the wine window
              I know Ican set the size of wine desktop to my desktop size but this is not nice.

Do you guys (who use irfan in linux) have this same behavior (irfan closed in wine window)?

Comment

Sorry, my fault. I had checked the "Emulate desktop".. :P

Comment

Irfanview 4.23 works for me, though not straight out of the file browser (it does open but can't find the file to open. have to manually >file>open file ...)
                  does it work for you ?

Comment

Working...
                  X