This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox on Kubuntu?

Hello... downloaded Firefox for Jaunty jackalope and now it just sits in the Home folder on my desktop. How do I get it to move to Applications: Internet so that I can open it from there, or make it open automatically when I start up? I need it so I can operate gmail chat.

thanks in advance!

Re: Firefox on Kubuntu?

EXACTLY what did you "download" and how did you do it? Did you download a file called "firefox.tar.gz" from someplace? Or, perhaps, you even downloaded a package called firefox.deb? If you did either of those things, you're doing it the hard way.

Normally when we want to install a (K)ubuntu package. We start a program like "kpackagekit" or "add/remove programs" (there are several others, as well). We then find the package we want by typing its name into the search box. Suddenly a list of packages consisting of everything that has the word "firefox" in it's name or description shows up. You then check off firefox (and any of the other firefox attachments that you want) and click the install button. Everything is then downloaded and installed in the right place automagically. It should even appear on your K-menu.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
      EXACTLY what did you "download" and how did you do it? Did you download a file called "firefox.tar.gz" from someplace? Or, perhaps, you even downloaded a package called firefox.deb? If you did either of those things, you're doing it the hard way.

Normally when we want to install a (K)ubuntu package. We start a program like "kpackagekit" or "add/remove programs" (there are several others, as well). We then find the package we want by typing its name into the search box. Suddenly a list of packages consisting of everything that has the word "firefox" in it's name or description shows up. You then check off firefox (and any of the other firefox attachments that you want) and click the install button. Everything is then downloaded and installed in the right place automagically. It should even appear on your K-menu.
      Yup, this is how I did it and worked easily.
      Kubuntu 9.04 installed within Windows Vista Home Premium. HP Compaq Presario V3304.

Comment

Hi Askrieger, thanks! am in the process... just 1 question: I get a whole list of applications. How do I select the whole bunch before I press the apply button? or do I have to do it manually program by program?

Comment

You just select the one you want, so if you want firefox just select that. If you want multiple packages say adobe reader/flash/whatever as well just select that too and depending upon the utility you are using to do it hit the apply/change button. They will all be installed at the same time.

Now, depending on what you want to install you may be surprised by the number of packages the system wants to download. Don't worry about that. The system knows what other packages are needed to make the one you want run - these are dependencies. The system automatically downloads and installs them for you. It's very clever.

Comment

@Gazelle: Just select them one at a time.

Comment

Working...
            X