Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installed Kubuntu on PC Son built and gave me, install seems fine, what next?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Installed Kubuntu on PC Son built and gave me, install seems fine, what next?

My choice for a weather widget is YAWP (Yet Another Weather Plasmoid)...works well in either desktop or panel and has satellite images and forecasts.

Packages for Jaunty and Karmic are installable from Rog's ppa repository, for example:
    https://launchpad.net/~samrog131/+archive/ppa

Comment

Re: Installed Kubuntu on PC Son built and gave me, install seems fine, what next?

For kubuntu you should be using Klamav, being a kde front-end for clam.

The thing about a linux anti virus is that it will not run in the background although via the klam interface you can configure it to scan incoming e-mails (so long as IIRC) you are running either kmail or evolution - not Thunderbird I'm afraid.

Assuming you have installed klam simply key alt+F2 to get the run box and type klam in it. Run the program.

Screenshots are here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/scree...roup_id=102171

Using the "scan" tab you can select the directories you wish to scan.

Just noticed here that it can be configure for file access monitoring

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-5830560.html

HTH

Ian

Comment

Hello!

YAWP and KlamAv are just what the doctor ordered. Thank you very much. I did have a little trouble installing KlamAv, as after the download of the Tar install file from the site I was sent to, was on-board, I went to double click it to install it and it gave me some error message, don't have exact message as of now. I was going to email the guy providing the download and install as per that individual saying to do and thought of something. Try to find it in Synaptic!

Of which I did and installed it fine. Ran a scan with it and everything, works great. What I can't figure out is how to setup all of the email stuff to scan emails etc... Could use some help there, will eventually figure it out, I hope. I also would want to know why that download of the installation from that one site wouldn't work? Is is something to do with ARK that was trying to open it? I even extracted the contents of the download to another folder and tried to install it from there etc... to no avail.

The weather app YAWP is great. Nothing to say about it.

Everything is working out great, thank you again!
        Honor Yourself with Truth and Fairness! Your Word is Your Bond! Give Your Word Power by Adhering to it!

Comment

Just to mention that with KlamAV, as with the overwhelming majority of applications you'll ever need, there is no need for you to search, download and install, It's available in the repositories for 1 click install in your package manager (think you're using synaptic, which is the best one). As and when a new version is available it automatically becomes available to you, whereas the search and download method won't do that.

Having said that, glad you are making some headway

Ian

Comment

YAWP looks great. Thanks to both of you.

Comment

Originally posted by mando_hacker
              YAWP looks great. Thanks to both of you.
              +111111

Awesome weather plasma-widget. I like especially like the satellite map.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hello!

Yep, I really like the YAWP! Thank you all for all of the help here. I do have an issue and am in the process of going to work and if anyone has there ears on, like right now, I would like to know how to re-activate the "Task-Manager" in the task bar at the bottom of the screen as I accidentally removed it and can't seem to figure out how to restore it.

Thanks again!
                Honor Yourself with Truth and Fairness! Your Word is Your Bond! Give Your Word Power by Adhering to it!

Comment

you ca re add you "task manager" by clicking on the "cashew" on your panel and then "add widget" the one you want is called "task manager"
                  note: you will more then likely have to click on the "cashew" again so you can move the widgets where you would like them (just drag after clicking on the "cashew")
                  Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                  (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Hello!

Thank, thank and thank for your very fast reply. You can tell I am a, for the most part, Windows user or have been for the longest of time. I would've never thought that would've been a widget.

I have an issue that has popped up concerning the screen on loading but that can wait everything seems to be working fine none the less and I am more than Happy with Kubuntu!

See you all tonight!

Comment

Re: Installed Kubuntu on PC Son built and gave me, install seems fine, what next

Hello,

I went and bought a wireless router an Linksys WRT54G2 and a friend of mine had a Netgear WG111v2 wireless adapter and am using it for this PC to go wireless in the next room, but it is not working.

I setup the Router using WEP security settings and don't know to much about any of this. Can anyone set me in the correct direction to get online here with this Hardware?

I'm pretty sure it is picking the router up and it even was doing something when I first started Network manage and edit network connections as it had a circle going down there where connection icon is at bottom and then it had a date as to being connected in Manage instead of never like it says now then I went to messing with setting again and nothing.

I also opened up the network passwords and have like 30 something it keeps adding everyone I try to establish but only one connection, if that all makes any sense to any of you.

Thank you!

Comment

Probably your best bet is
                        Code:
                        sudo aptitude install wicd
                        Then run wicd from the menu and set up your connection. It will remove network-manager, so don't be alarmed by that.

Comment

Re: Installed Kubuntu on PC Son built and gave me, install seems fine, what next

Hello,

Now I am in a real bind! I went and tried to install the wicd without it online, forgot had to have online, and wouldn't install and now has removed my network manager so as I can't even get online with that machine to install either wcid and or Network manager.

Is there a way to download wcid manually to a PC (running Windows) then install it on the machine in question. If not need to somehow reinstall Network Manager manually then install wcid.

Sorry about this one, don't know what I was thinking.

Thanks again!

Comment

DL from hear.....on computer with net.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/all/wicd/download

transfer to your desktop .....Kubuntu

right click and install with GDebi

VINNY
                            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                            16GB RAM
                            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Or, perhaps, with gdebi-kde
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hello,

Well, download and install of "wicd" went fine, I guess. After install I opened it up and it wouldn't detect anything I still tried to configure it and nothing. I rebooted and then had an unknown Widget in task bar or what ever it is called in Kubuntu. I rebooted again and the Unknown widget was gone but still no wireless detection.

There is a new icon in the task manager and when I place cursor over it, it says, it is connected at 1% but when open "wicd" it has no detection of any wireless anywhere. Now firefox and Konqerer won't access any pages but that YAWP weather widget seems to be pulling info from somewhere, some cache somewhere, don't know what thats about.

I know nothing about manually configuring a network adapter! Well, I have to go to work now will holler at you all when I get in tonight.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X