This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emerald and HH II and JJ

Can I install and successfully run Emerald on any of those Kubuntu OS's? How do I do that?
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Re: Emerald and HH II and JJ

I tried it this morning on JJ. My conclusion:

Install = yes

Successfully run = No.

It worked fine on HH and II.

YMMV.

Comment

i have emerald on both of my JJ machines and have since there were on HH , i also use compiz(idk might matter)to install it you just install the emerald package, to run it you will have to open krunner (alt+f2 is default) and run
      Code:
      emerald --replace
      @dibl did you have compiz running when you tested emerald?
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Hmmmmm. I'm thinking I enabled emerald first, and compiz second, but now that you ask, I'm a little uncertain. They're both still installed, so I can always try it again. FYI, did you know emerald is no longer in the debian repos? It wasn't in JJ until just recently -- I looked a couple weeks ago and it wasn't there (at least not in 64-bit). I kinda though emerald was gone for good, until I saw it again the other day.

Comment

i have issues using compiz with out emerald. kwins window decorator just don't seam to like it and untill kwin starts to support mouse input for its effect plugins (like cube rotation) and starts to have the plugins i use i suspose i am stuck with it. but if you have a solution for compiz and kwin borders i would love to use its decorations.

Comment

Here's a little experimental result, sith:

With nVidia driver 185.18.08, compiz and emerald don't run right -- launching an application crashes X.

I installed driver 185.19. I set compiz to use the emerald window decorator, and entered in the Konsole
            Code:
            compiz --replace
            and VOILA! I have compiz running with the emerald decorator and no apparent issues. So, apparently Beta driver 185.18.08 is buggy, but Beta driver 185.19 works OK with compiz.

That's what I know. On sidux, I also had to replace 185.18.08 and on that system I used 180.53 stable and it is running compiz satisfactorily, but since there is no emerald in the debian repos, that one uses the kwin window decorator.

dibl

Comment

idk about nvidia my newest cards use the 96 driver still, but my new rig is ati and works nicely w/ the new driver on there page

Comment

Working...
              X