This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

login and boot splash wrong size

When I boot up kubuntu, the screen resolution for the boot slash and login screen (the nvidia logo too now that I think of it) is the wrong size (1600x1200 I think). Once logged in the correct resolution kicks in at 1280x1024. How do I fix this without messing up the main resolution?

I installed using the live cd 6.06 LTS btw. I think last time I installed with the text only install disk I didn't have this problem.

Re: login and boot splash wrong size

In System Settings > Peripherals > Display, check if you are using the correct graphics card and monitor. If not, either try to correct it there (you have to enter Administrator Mode), or go out to a terminal and type "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg". You have to restart the X Server (ctrl+alt+backspace) for changes to take effect.

I think the Desktop CD installer (Ubiquity) installs the system based on the settings you used to run the Live CD. It probably got mixed up there a bit.

Hope that would solve your problem.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

I'm having this problem too. Once I log in as any new user, I have to adjust the resolution back down to 1024x768 instead of 1280x1024 (which too much for the video card and causes strange lines). Even changing it in Admin Mode only takes effect once you login and doesn't change the login screen size or resolution. I'll try the sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and let everyone know if that fixes it.
      Come say hi on comicbusters.com!

Comment

Hi,

dlanor78.
        Backup your /etc/X11/xorg.conf first then delete the "1600x1200" res for each entry (Depth) in  Section "Screen".
        You may delete  the lowest res as well.

It worked for me.

Comment

I ran the above bold command, and although it was a little in-depth for a newbie, it solved my problem.

I am by no means new to linux, just to Kubuntu/Ubuntu, and I was hoping for a newbie-friendly way to fix this for the many people I am slowly migrating to Kubuntu from Windows.

Manually editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf may have fixed it, but this is way beyond the scope of experience for new linux users in general. 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' automatically backed up (backup'd?) the xorg.conf file, but needed waaaay too much info for the average user, such as horizonal and vertical monitor refresh rates, mouse protocol (IMPS2 in my case), keyboard model (pc104 in my case) etc.

In conclusion, if you're comfortable with vi or you have another editor you have/know, simply backup/copy your xorg.conf to another name and sudo vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf as per above. If you know your mouse protocol/keyboard model, have your monitor fh and fv refresh rates, and have an extra minute, this utility will create a backup for you and may teach you something useful for the future.

Note to Kubuntu developers: It would great to be able to control the resolution/screensize for the login via a tab in the Login Manager using Admin Mode!!

Anyway, thanks to everyone for a great distro: One that finally may help shed the "linux isn't for Grandma, yet" moniker. This board is filled with great people!
          Come say hi on comicbusters.com!

Comment

Working...
          X