This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grub/boot problem

Ok, so I wanted to dual boot my windows xp and linux. I have two sata drives with xp on, I thought it'd be best to put a new hardrive in to put linux onto just so it doesn't mess my files up. So I put in an old 80gb ide drive.

Anyway,I install kubuntu from the cd on to the new drive. It installed ok installing it all onto the drive (which read as sda the other drives with windows on were sdb and sdc)

Then I restart, and it just goes straight to windows loading screen, no selection menu which i had on a previous linux install. Any ideas how I can fix this? I have a supergrub disk from before when I had to sort a problem with the mbr, if that'll help?

Thanks in advance

Re: grub/boot problem

your grub install probably went to the secondary HD instad of the primarey HD's mbr

see if you can use the supergrub disk to boot it or fix it like you seam to have done befor.

and hears a realey extenseive how to for grub

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

That's right, Vinny's got it right.
      Go to that How-To
      and then
      reinstall GRUB to the MBR of (hd0)
      using the GRUB files in your new Kubuntu
      (grub> find /boot/grub/stage1).

You have a mixture of IDEs and SATAs, so that confuses things, but the find statement will steer you right.
      See the how-to on
      "Reinstalling GRUB."
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Ok, I managed to boot in using supergrubdisc, did the instructions about reinstalling. then I rebooted, and it had "GRUB" repeated on the screen, as in it kept printing it and the whole screen had "GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB" on it. Going to try and fix it with the disc again. Will post back to let you know how I get on.

Comment

Ok I used super grub again, to restore the grub into the mbr, it all works now. Perfect. Thanks for your help!

Comment

sweeeeeet

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

The repeating GRUB sounds like corruption. Your re-do was a smart thing to try after that.
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
              X