This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jaunty v Hardy Heron

I like raw power and a stable look and feel to an OS.

By and large my needs are Vanilla:- Internet - OpenOffice, you-tube etc.

What advances does Jaunty have that makes it worth the major hassle of moving over to it?

Tim

Re: Jaunty v Hardy Heron

WARNING
    [HERESY]
    For the activities that you describe, probably none.
    [/HERESY]
    But...
    1) The KDE portions of Hardy will not be supported for long. Kubuntu Hardy is NOT a long term support release, because of the imminent arrival of KDE4, at the time Hardy was released.
    2) The advantages of KDE4 (which were decidedly not obvious in Intrepid, but are more apparent in Jaunty) will be lost to you:
    (a) Plasmoids: Hackers have expanded the things that KDE can do from the desktop to an extent that even the developers probably never dreamed. Admittedly most of these are trivial, but they are fun.
    (b) Many of the standard KDE apps have been rewritten so that they are faster and have more capability.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
      1) The KDE portions of Hardy will not be supported for long. Kubuntu Hardy is NOT a long term support release, because of the imminent arrival of KDE4, at the time Hardy was released.
      So does Kubuntu _have_ a long-term support release? Hardy Heron in Ubuntu is LTS, and I assumed it was the same for Kubuntu. But a quick check at kubuntu.org doesn't reveal a LTS Kubuntu.

Comment

So does Kubuntu _have_ a long-term support release?
        Not since Dapper (which will run out of support next month).

Comment

My suggestion would be: burn the Jaunty CD and see if it will run.

I still run Hardy for production, but I like to switch to Jaunty because it is much faster (boot time as well as feel) and I think it is better designed from a user point of view.
          The point is that right now it doesn't cope very well with my motherboard and graphics card (which I suspect is a result of the motherboard-thing).

But I've also seen it run like a dream on several machines, everything just worked, including drivers for graphics card.

Running the Live CD will probably tell you in which category your computer will fit.
          Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

Advantages are that KDE4 is maturing nicely and is now pretty darn stable - a vast improvement over intrepid. Hardware support is improved for example a number of more modern printers etc seem to be better supported).

In functionality KDE4 is just getting better and better and I would say it's quicker and less clunky than KDE3. Also agree about the improved boot time.

Definitely worth getting the live cd and taking a look Tim.

Comment

Working...
            X