X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installation problem

hi

im having a problem installing kubuntu on my pc

it starts out fine but after i select install kubuntu there is a splashscreen and once it has finished all i get is a black screen with the message "loading please wait" it has been like this for almost an hour now and i dont know what to do about it

can anyone help?

Re: installation problem

It's hung -- you might as well push the reset button.

So, you finished an installation, the CD ejected, and then you restarted and got to this point? We need to hear the details -- what kind of hardware are you installing it on?

Did you run it as a Live CD first? How did it work? Did you test the sound and browser and make you had internet connectivity?

Comment

well this happens during the installation after selecting install ad once the splashscreen is done loading

my hardware is as follows

amd64 2010mhz
      wd raptor 74GB
      seagate 250GB
      nvidia gf8500gt
      1gb ddr

Comment

So, if it is not yet installed, I would advise to do two things:

1. Boot a Live CD, and play around with it long enough to confirm that there is not going to be some immediate problem with your hardware. If the Live CD doesn't want to boot right, probably you need to push F6 and enter "vga=788" to get it to boot on your nVidia card. Open the browser, play a music file, and confirm that stuff more or less works in Live CD mode. It should -- I don't see anything difficult about your hardware. Your GF 8500GT may give it some trouble, but a boot option "xforcevesa" will probably solve it, or else "vga=788".

2. If that's a go, then I advise to do the disk partitioning in advance of installing the OS. Which drive to you plan to install Kubuntu on? You need to make a 10G partition on it, formatted ext3, and I'm still advocating a 1G swap space even there are reports that "you don't need it". I like Parted Magic -- you can download an ISO from here:

http://partedmagic.com/

Post back if there are further questions or problems.

Comment

Working...
        X