This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Kubuntu :)

First lets say high to all.............Hay yall................!

now down to bisness.........I'm new to Kubuntu but not linux.
    I'v ben using a slackware based distro cald Ultimalinux for about 3 years and it's ben good to me BUT the DEV. of the distro quit and puled his (1 person dev teem) site off the net and being the queshtoning type I desided to try somthing new with a working forum teem........LOL

having read good things about ubuntu and liking KDE I desided ok Kubuntu!

and it's working OK so far

However I do have some config Q's.........so let's take them 1 at a time to resalve and then anuther!

First .........my wireless..........I have a linksys wireless PCI card that uses the anthros chip set that newer kernels use ath9k module for and have had good luck using ndiswrapper on ...on systems without the module.

so the Q is dose Kubuntu (harde) have a ath9k module (and how to load of yes) or should I use ndiswrapper?

when this is sorted well get to the next Q

thanks
    VINNY

PS: I gess I should add that I'm hesetent to up to ver. 9 becose my box dosent like KDE4's plasma and ver. 9's livecd wouldent load to a GUI I assume becose of plasma!!
    OK hear's some specks on the box

vinny@Kubuntu:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82810 GMCH (Graphics Memory Controller Hub) (rev 03)
    00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82810 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801AA PCI Bridge (rev 02)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801AA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 02)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801AA IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801AA USB Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801AA SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
    01:0b.0 Ethernet controller: ADMtek NC100 Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100 (rev 11)
    01:0d.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5416 802.11abgn Wireless PCI Adapter (rev 01)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vinny@Kubuntu:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 8
    model name : Celeron (Coppermine)
    stepping : 3
    cpu MHz : 697.900
    cache size : 128 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 2
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse up
    bogomips : 1397.34
    clflush size : 32
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vinny@Kubuntu:~$ free
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 384500 354964 29536 0 10120 202176
    -/+ buffers/cache: 142668 241832
    Swap: 650624 28 650596
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vinny@Kubuntu:~$ uname -a
    Linux Kubuntu 2.6.24-23-generic #1 SMP Wed Apr 1 21:47:28 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK that should be enuff for now if not let me know
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Re: New to Kubuntu

OK so the wirless is ok now ......I just went ahead and used ndiswrapper to install the WMP110 XP driver with the net5416.inf and all is well...........

SO the next Q

xorg.conf looks verey genarick.....................hear it is.

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
    # values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
    # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
    # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
    # package.
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following command:
    # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Screen "Default Screen"
    EndSection
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was looking to edit the default depth to 16.....or just see what it was set to but you can see it's not thare!!

the driver should be I810 as you can see from the lspci in my preveus post.

IF xorg.config is not the right place to do this in Kubuntu thin please let me know whare the config file is.............and if I was rite then what should I do to fix xorg.conf ?

VINNY
    16GB RAM

Comment

OK I gess you guys dont know where the new xorg hides is config files eneymor eather!!!!

or just dont like me.....................

VINNY
      16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
        OK I gess you guys dont know where the new xorg hides is config files eneymor eather!!!!

or just dont like me.....................

VINNY
        I'm sure you're totally lovable, Vinny! :-X

The Xorg in 9.04 is a new version (relies mostly on HAL, I am told), and we're all in a new world, when it comes to video configuration. I don't think anyone has worked with it long enough to be an expert on anything other than their own system(s). Sorry -- I can only tell you how to configure a newer nVidia card.

Comment

LOL

ok then at least I get a clue as to the fact that EVERYONE is ..............well ............ still digin away at it.

O and I'm on 8.04 hardy with KDE3.5.10 .........I'm assumeing that it's the new xorg to......?

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

I'm on 8.04 hardy with KDE3.5.10 .........I'm assumeing that it's the new xorg to......?

Nooooo -- that's the old Xorg -- that one should be tweakable. Did you try the old favorite:

Code:
            sudo dpkg-reconfigure --phigh xserver-xorg
            ?

Or, if you're going to subject yourself to all the issues of configuring a new installation, why not just install 9.04 and dive in to the new stuff?

Comment

[quote=dibl ]

I'm on 8.04 hardy with KDE3.5.10 .........I'm assumeing that it's the new xorg to......?

Originally posted by dibl
              Nooooo -- that's the old Xorg -- that one should be tweakable. Did you try the old favorite:

Code:
              sudo dpkg-reconfigure --phigh xserver-xorg
              ? ---------yes that's whar the posted xorg.conf cam from
              Or, if you're going to subject yourself to all the issues of configuring a new installation, why not just install 9.04 and dive in to the new stuff?

WELL sence you ask I did try the new one but it wouuldent boot to completion on my box --check the posted specks -- it would get to x (tring to open the login screen) and lock up with prity colerd lines runing up and down the screen..........LOL.........and drop to a shell................... ...........................I know frome mandriva that my box dosent like KDE4 and plasma..........mandriva did boot alll the way befor it started IT's fun .....that is to say crashing .

BUT if I can upgrade and keep KDE3 I'd be willing to try watever horedisley complacated snipit of code you sugjest ...........

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Yeah, the 82810 CGC does show some age. But, I dunno, I think I'd give 9.04 a serious try on it before reverting to 8.04. I successfully installed 9.04 on a Dell Dimension 2350 with an Intel 845G/GL chip, which is not much better than your 82810. It runs KDE 4.2 just fine, although Google Earth will crash it, just because of the limits of the GPU. But it runs Open Office Org, plays music, runs Firefox just fine, and is fully usable by the owner of it.

So, do you have a 9.04 Live CD? I would boot the Live CD and play around with it -- take a look at the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that is on the system when booted from Live CD. That might give you some hints about how to set it up. See how well sound works on the Live CD. I would even try some multimedia stuff -- maybe set up the medibuntu repo and then installing the multimedia packages as instructed here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

There's also a lot guidance concerning Intel graphics on JJ here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582

Spend 30 minutes that way, then maybe you'll have a better idea of whether 9.04 is truly too much for that computer or not.

Comment

You can add options to xorg.conf just as you always have. They will be honored. They are just often not needed.

Comment

Yeah, the 82810 CGC does show some age. But, I dunno, I think I'd give 9.04 a serious try on it before reverting to 8.04. I successfully installed 9.04 on a Dell Dimension 2350 with an Intel 845G/GL chip, which is not much better than your 82810. It runs KDE 4.2 just fine, although Google Earth will crash it, just because of the limits of the GPU. But it runs Open Office Org, plays music, runs Firefox just fine, and is fully usable by the owner of it.

So, do you have a 9.04 Live CD? I would boot the Live CD and play around with it -- take a look at the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that is on the system when booted from Live CD. That might give you some hints about how to set it up. See how well sound works on the Live CD. I would even try some multimedia stuff -- maybe set up the medibuntu repo and then installing the multimedia packages as instructed here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

There's also a lot guidance concerning Intel graphics on JJ here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582

Spend 30 minutes that way, then maybe you'll have a better idea of whether 9.04 is truly too much for that computer or not.
                    WOW --------------OK so I was update/installing things as per the instructions in that first link you gave and all of a sudden adept sead you'v got a distrobution upgrade wating my frend .........so felling brave I clicked OK....................and coffey.......................and tv.............and WOW a reboot and it worked .............. I'm now on KDE4 and so far so good.......it's a little more sys hevey as top shoes ........but it's working....

dont know why the cd wouldent boot all the way I gess as a upgrade it kept enuff setings to be ok.
                    like my ndiswrapper driver was still ok and my konqueror bookmarks!

I'll post back as I play and see how it go's 8)

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                    X