Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't fix sound; /var/lib/dpkg/status might be to blame?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't fix sound; /var/lib/dpkg/status might be to blame?

Hello again!

With 9.04 I've had a few issues. Last issue was the grub which seems to be in working order because I'm posting from my computer instead of someone elses lol.

However, I do not have any sound. Investigating the reasons as to why, I tried 'sudo apt-get update' and I got the following error.

Code:
    E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
    As well as many 'W: Failed to fetch...'

I read somewhere that it should be a problem with /var/lib/dpkg/status. I made a copy of my current status and tried to use an old status file. I didn't have permission to change the file name. I tried to edit the status to match the old status. Found an error on line 13469:

Code:
    brian@Wucus:~$ dpkg -l
    dpkg-query: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 13469 package `libltdl7':
     missing version
    So I know there is an error that might be causing more trouble. Adept and Synaptic aren't too friendly either. Opening Adept or Synaptic I get:

Code:
    Configuration file "/home/brian/.kde/share/config/kdesudorc" not writable.
    Please contact your system administrator.
    Can someone point me in a good direction as to where I can go to fix this or find any information as to why/how this might of happened? I would love to get my sound working again. So far this 9.04 upgrade has been a big pain in the patooty!

Thank you,
    Brian
Working...
X