Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems with loading Kubuntu 9.04 (Graphics driver related)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with loading Kubuntu 9.04 (Graphics driver related)

Hi, i've only been using kubuntu for a few days now and let me tell im loving it. Well i was until i was OpenArena earlier today and my laptop froze after that i can see the grub menu and the kubuntu logo appears but once it starts to boot further the screen gets filled with garbage so i believe there is some corruption with the graphics drivers problem is i dont know how to test this or fix this

Im hoping that someone will at least know what im going on about here... trying my best not to be forced back into using Windows

Cheers for any help

Jay

My Laptop is a Equium L100 with 2gb ram and the ATI XPress 200m chipset

Re: Problems with loading Kubuntu 9.04 (Graphics driver related)

As your computer boots you will see a message to "press esc in 2 seconds for menu", so press esc. Then select the boot option with recovery (Down arrow once).
    This gives you another menu which has something like "xfix Fix X server". Try that one.

Comment

i've tried the menu options -

dpkg (Repair broken packages)
      fsck (Check filesystem)

and the auto graphics repair...

what im looking for ideally is a sudo command that would allow me to see what driver im using for the display and how to change it to a default one if i've changed it somehow

Comment

It's not at all obvious to me that your problem is related to your graphics driver. However, you might want to install the "ATI binary X.Org driver" package which you can find under "System" with Adept, if it isn't installed already. If that doesn't help we'll try something more sophisticated.

Comment

grep Driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
          will show you which driver you are using.

Comment

grep Driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
            will show you which driver you are using.
            Not neccessarily. In the past, that would have been true; however, under Jaunty (if you're not using the proprietary driver) you can easily wind up with an absolutely useless xorg.conf file. That seems to be especially true if you install from scratch, rather than upgrading from a previous version.

e.g. Here's an excerpt from my 3 section xorg.conf file:
            # Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
            # in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
            # here are ignored.

Comment

You are right. It may not need a xorg.conf file at all. Most that exist do have the Driver line though. What would be a more reliable way to determine this? Maybe
              grep Driver /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

Comment

right i've worked out what happened now, its something to do with the ATI Catalyst control centre, hmm anyway of removing this via the command prompt?

Comment

During bot start the recovery mode menu, and go to the root shell.
                  apt-get -purge fglrx-amdcccle

That should remove the catalyst controle center.

Comment

Working...
                  X