This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disk Usage

I like that. Might be even nicer if you could use it as a menu.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      Although, in a world of hard disk drive space that costs 12 cents per Gigabyte, I have no clue why a person would need to have free space as a concern after installing Kubuntu. I guess that's a mystery for another thread ...
      I'm torrenting full-ASCII Rainbow Tables, you insensitive clod!

But actually more seriously, the least-price-per-gigabyte isn't always the indicator; for example, once I have the spare cash I intend on immediately running Kubuntu 9.04 on a 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD; to a degree there's a sacrifice of space for speed and reliability. Furthermore I've installed *buntu on peoples' EeePC 701s....when you've only got 4GB of space in total, knowing exactly how much you're using becomes pretty crucial! (in fact, after installing as minimal of a usable *buntu-based system as possible while still having all the creature comforts there was frightfully little space left).

Comment

Originally posted by mando_hacker
        I like that. Might be even nicer if you could use it as a menu.
        Well, just drag the widget onto a panel - not in a menu, mind, but better than nothing, if that is what you are after. Of course, for those with 64 zillion partitions like dibl or me the situation is hopeless. We are stuck with the terrible fate of using the CLI (BTW, try this and if you like, put an alias into your .bashrc: 'du -m |sort -n', alternatives include the --max-depth=X flag) or, even worse, having to add aforementioned widget to the desktop. Quite honestly, I don't know how we bear it
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by KeithZG

I've installed *buntu on peoples' EeePC 701s....when you've only got 4GB of space in total, knowing exactly how much you're using becomes pretty crucial!
          Yeah, I've got one of those, too. Put a 16GB SDHC card in it, and you actually can download stuff, although why you would use it to view or listen to multimedia is another mystery. Actually no one listens to anything on mine -- after I "turned up" the volume with the Amarok pre-amplifier, one of the speakers went bye-bye and it's now a view-only system.

Comment

[qoute]
            not in a menu, mind ...
            using the CLI (BTW, try this and if you like, put an alias into your .bashrc: 'du -m |sort -n'
            [/quote]

What I meant by a menu was that it would be nice if the partition listings were active, so that right click brought a menu of actions.

In the case where I have to use the often slow du I almost always use du -sh, but that is very slow and resource consuming.

Comment

Working...
            X