X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgraded to 9.04, now i have no sound

Hi there.

So i finally upgraded to 9.04 (was away from the computer for a couple of days) but now i have no sound at all, anywhere.

Fiddled a bit with "Multimedia" under "System Settings", trying different configurations, restarting, but nothing worked.
    All packages seem to be installed, what am i not seeing here?

Did anyone have the same problem and was able to fix it?

Re: Upgraded to 9.04, now i have no sound

Check that all sliders in the mixer are where they need to be. Sometimes a new config will default to having everything at zero.

Otherwise, open a terminal and type in asoundconf list and see what that says. Hopefully your card is listed.

Could be something pulse audio related too, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by E_Debois
      Check that all sliders in the mixer are where they need to be. Sometimes a new config will default to having everything at zero.

Otherwise, open a terminal and type in asoundconf list and see what that says. Hopefully your card is listed.

Could be something pulse audio related too, I guess.
      Yeah, all sliders are to full blast, and the asoundconf list gives me back a
      Code:
      Names of available sound cards:
      Intel
      What can i do with this?
      (sorry, total newbie with sound-related issues in linux)

Comment

try first to see the codec:

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 | grep -i codec

if your codec is

Codec: IDT 92HD71B7X

(like mine) then add in the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base the following line

options snd-hda-intel model=hp-m4

reboot and see if it works.

If your codec isn't the above try to find a suitable modelname in /usr/share/doc/alsa-base/driver/ALSA-Configuration.txt.gz

if your card is an HDA Intel ( cat /proc/asound/cards) try to see also in /usr/share/doc/alsa-base/driver/HD-Audio-Models.txt.gz.

I hope this can help you

Comment

Code:
          asoundconf set-default-card Intel
          Once you have done that, might want to reboot to be on the safe side.
          Then check in systemsettings>multimedia to make sure your card shows up there. You can hit the TEST button, and you should get sound.
          We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

It's bizarre, the card appears in the Settings-Multimedia panel, i press Test and i get sound, but that's all i get, i get no actual sound nowehere else, Youtube's videos play soundless, Songbird just says that it found a Media Core Error (Resource Not Found).

Gah!

Comment

I think that while pulseaudio will show up in the multimedia system settings it is not installed by default, so if you select it you will get what you are hearing, nothing. You could either select the other option or install the pulseaudio packages, if that is the problem.

Comment

All pulseaudio packages seem to be installed fine, and i have the Intel sound card as the default, not Pulse...

Comment

What the hell, the system sounds (like unplugging the power cable from my laptop) work, but i get no sound otherwise?!

Comment

Try testing things with Audacious; I have a pretty complicated sound setup (partially because of a buggy intel integrated soundcard, and partly because I use a kindof-support USB soundcard oftentimes) and I've found it really useful for trying to output to different sound devices through different frameworks and finding out what the problem is.

Comment

yes, same problem here!

Comment

test with VLC, it has his own codecs

if vlc play sopuns is a codec issue in the system

Comment

Still have no clue what's going on.

I have sound on firefox (on youtube, for example) but no sound on amarok or songbird or Kaffeine.

Comment

Are you trying to use pulseaudio? If so stop. Remove every pulse package except libpulse0, go into System Setting->Multimedia and deselect pulseaudio.

Comment

Working...
                            X