X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Download Packages and the related packages

Hello All,

I'm new in using Kubuntu Linux 8.10. I've have problem to install some application in kubuntu. I have download some application, but the application cannot install, the extension for the application file are .gz, bz2, tar and rpm. After getting a long night, i found that the installation file need to be .deb extension. The question is, how to get all dependencies file related in one download, because i have to download it at office and keep the file to offline installation at home. I have download in http://packages.ubuntu.com. Example i need the ktubeling game, but some dependency need to install before install the ktuberling, so i need to go office and download it. I want to download the .deb file and also all the related dependency or packages in one download. Is there a way to solve that. Thanks

Best Regards,
    Abun

Re: Download Packages and the related packages

I just deleted a lengthy stock reply here, in case anyone wonders. I missed the part about being offline. I have no idea of how to do that.

Comment

@abun: What you need is a package called APTonCD. This basically allows you to create a mini-repository on a CD. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that it's up to date any more. The last version I saw was for Gutsy.

Comment

I think the lengthy stock reply is needed as well as the -d switch. In Kubuntu (and Debian, Ubuntu) there are repositories of software that are packaged for our system They can be downloaded and installed using package management software, which does away with the need for compiling and also keeps a database of what is installed where so the package manageer can remove them if you want to. An explanation of using this is provided here
        http://amitech.50webs.com/installing..._with_synaptic
        for the package manager called synaptic. In Kubuntu 8.10 you probably have 2 package managers, adept and Kpackagekit. You also have command line tools for installing packages. A quick intro is that you should regularly run
        sudo aptitude update
        (your system actually does this each morning at 6:27 by default) to update your local database of available software packages. Then to install a package you would run
        sudo aptitude install ktuberling
        Which would figure out all needed packages and let you download and install them. After installation the packages are in /var/cache/apt/archives until you clean them out. This points out one possibility. If you install them on a laptop at work and take it home they will be in that directory.

The other way is to use
        sudo aptitude -d install ktuberling
        which will download the required packages to /var/cache/apt/archives but not install them.

There is a whole lot more convenient things that can be done and you can learn about them in
        man aptitude

Then once you have them on your computer at home you can install them with
        sudo dpkg -i package1 package2 ...

Comment

Thanks askrieger, and mando_hacker. I'm sorry have forget to tell, the internet connection computer are with windows xp sp2. Is there a way? I think about getting the file offline (deb with dependency), and burn it on cd / dvd, so i can use for later new installation.

Comment

While you are at your Kubuntu computer run
            sudo aptitude install ktuberling
            It will show you what it is going to install and ask you if you want it to do that. You can tell it no and then send yourself an email with the list in it. Then at work you go to the source, probably
            http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ and look under pool where you will find the packages in alphabetic order.

Comment

Hi mando_hacker. Thanks about the solution, it's the solution i want, but i'm not in us, but found something similiar to your solution, http://labs.fajran.web.id/p/apt-web/index.php. Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X