This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED: Archive Manager

I am looking for an archive manager just like the default one in GNOME which (1) handles archives with password and (2) allow direct modification to the file content inside the archive manager (i.e open the file (say with openoffice), modify it, save the change).

The default archive manager in KDE (Ark) won't handle password. I tried the "xarchiver" in the main repository, which handles password. But it is still missing the modifying file feature.

I don't seem to be able to find the "GNOME archive manager" in KpackageKit. Any idea how I might install that?

Or any suggestion of other archive manager that meets my requirements?

Re: Archive Manager

I think the gnome archive manager is actually named "file roller". Or is that Xfce?

Comment

~ $aptitude search roller
      p common-lisp-controller - Common Lisp source and compiler manager
      p file-roller - an archive manager for GNOME

Comment

Yeah, that's it: file-roller. I got it working in KDE. Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by gil
          Hi

I installed file roller on my kubuntu 9.04. I cannot find how to run it. It is not in any of the start menus of KDE. Also, How do I set it to be the default archiving program (when I try to open a zip file I want file roller to start and not ark as it is now).

Thanks

Gil (gil@powerdesk.co.za)
          A couple of methods to run it:
          1. press "Alt + F2" to open "krunner", then type "file-roller" to run it.
          2. type "file-roller" in any terminal; or
          3. Add an icon in "kde menu": first, right click the "kde menu" icon (located at the bottom left of your panel), choose menu editor. Then choose "new item" to add a new item. Name it whatever you what. In the "command" row, type "file-roller", then save it. From now on, you can start file-roller from your new icon in "kde menu"

Next, to set it as the default archiving program. There are two methods:
          1. open "dolphin" (or any other file manager), choose any "zip" file, right click and choose "open with", then type "file-roller" in the input line, remember to check the "Remember application association for this type of file". Then press okay. You need to repeat this for all types of archive files (e.g. rar, bzip...)
          2. press "Alt + F2" to open "krunner", then type "system settings". In the "advanced" tag, choose "file associations". Choose whatever archive file type (e.g. zip) and then add "file roller" as the default program. Again you need to repeat this for all different archive file types.

Comment

to compress with file-roller, you can visit link
            http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=151303

Comment

Originally posted by xinbye View Post
              to compress with file-roller, you can visit link
              http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=151303
              A welcome Dolphin service menu!

--------------

Introducing the 1971 Floppy Diskette:
              *Nearly Limitless 80 kilobytes of Storage
              *State-of-The-Art Cardboard Enclosure
              *Iron Oxide Coating
              *Read-Only Storage
              *Only Eight Inches!
              Never Use a Punchcard Again!
              Last edited by perspectoff; Aug 26, 2013, 10:53 AM.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
              and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Strange enough Ark does have the ability to open a password protected zip...

Comment

Working...
                X