This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hardware drivers

have you all found it difficult to find drivers for linux? i have never used linux before; should i first learn all there is to know about linux before i use kubuntu? if not, how do i go about finding audio/video drivers for it?

Re: hardware drivers

You can find which hardware is known to be compatible with (K)Ubuntu on Ubuntu's wiki.
    all hardware https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/
    check here for video card https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...entsVideoCards

if nothing works from Kubuntu, you'll have to see if the manufacturer has a Linux driver and try to install it following their indications. It may take some time, but probably someone did the same before you, and you can find the answer on forums. Alternatively Google your hardware version with 'linux driver'.

Nvidia has linux drivers.
    I learn about linux while installing every day. It takes some time, but you get great help on this forum.
    Single boot Kubuntu12.04 on Zepto NoxA14 Intel Dual Core 2GHz (64-bit), RAM 4Go, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT

Comment

thanks!

Comment

I'd say just burn an install disk and try it out in live CD mode. Most of the hardware detection stuff works from a live CD so you can pretty much tell if something is missing.

Generally though, most non-peripheral hardware is covered these days, and it's not something the average user have to think about.

Comment

yeah, well, i'm "that guy;" you know, the one out of a billion who has that strangely unique hardware(not even that good hardware) with drivers that take months to find; i seem to be the exception to the rule with all these things :P

Comment

If you have difficult to support hardware it would be a good idea to post here information about what that hardware is, such as the output of lspci or lshw. Many people who read this forum have experience with hard to support hardware.

Comment

Working...
            X