X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu or Kubuntu?

Ok so im new here so if these are some stupdi questions bear with me,

So i have been using windows PC's for a while but am in a situation where i would like to try something else, I have a media server running in my house that is on XP now that is rather lagging and i would like to try a smaller more efficient operating system for it. After asking around friends have pointed me towards ubuntu and after reading the site i have discovered Kubuntu. Before i install this on my media server i want to try it on my laptop as to see if i can get the hang of it before i take down my primary to install the new OS. I attepted 8.10 Ubuntu but i couldnt even get the mouse to work so im hoping 9.04 might be a little easier to manage. my laptop is m1530 dell with a 9300 intel core duo, 4 gigs of ram, and a nvidia card. with these specs which would you suggest ubuntu or kubuntu and why?

thanks

jess

Re: Ubuntu or Kubuntu?

In terms of hardware supported there is no difference at all between Kubuntu and ubuntu. They are the same. The only difference is which Desktop you install on top of the basic system. The choice is really do you want Gnome or KDE.

Comment

Thank you for responding,
      I guess my biggest question then would be whats the differences?

Comment

Small update, my bittorrent of kubuntu 9.04 finished and i tried it under (use kubuntu but do not change computer settings) and wow i see the difference, and on a side note the mouse finally works. I couldnt get the wireless to turn on but that might have to do with the fact i was running it of the DVD, so after i finish burning a 32 bit copy for my media server, im gonna load it on the HD, half partion for kubuntu and half for win 7 7100 build... here goes nothing...

Comment

Code:
          sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
          and you add Gnome (of Ubuntu fame) to your system. You can now chose at login which Desktop environment you prefer And then there is fluxbox, lxde, xfce, icewm to name but a few...
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Or, if you really want a lean server, uninstall all desktops and let your server only serve files.

Comment

I considered that but this is my primary box, so i use it as a server, Bit torrent, and my general use computer, so cant strip it all the way down just want something a little slimmer but still fun to use

Comment

I have been pleasantly surprised at the performance of KDE 4.2.2. It seems to me more efficient than KDE3.5, and I have always thought Gnome was a bloated pig, although I have to admit that opinion is probably out of date. While is is easy to have both KDE and Gnome on a system I find that it offends my sense of efficiency to have two sets of large libraries.

One thing I would caution you about is that many people are finding that after the installation and the reboot they do not have wireless. You might want to think about downloading wicd before you reboot after the install. If you run
                sudo aptitude download wicd
                it will download into your current directory, so if you need it later you can install it with
                sudo dpkg -i wicd_1.5.9-2_all.deb

Comment

Originally posted by mando_hacker
                  In terms of hardware supported there is no difference at all between Kubuntu and ubuntu. They are the same. The only difference is which Desktop you install on top of the basic system. The choice is really do you want Gnome or KDE.
                  That is decidedly untrue.. whether it be bluetooth in the past or WPA wireless this release.

I suppose the meaning of "hardware supported" could be debated, but ubuntu does offer an easier solution to the two issues I mention above.

*** Oops. That really sounds crankier than I meant it to.***

Edit2: Before my mini-rant gets the thread off-topic, clearly mando was talking more about kernel, driver, CPU arch., etc. support. But the software can have a big impact on peripheral hardware support, which is more what I was getting at... sorry again mando.

Comment

Actually it is decidedly true. They use the exact same kernels, with exactly the same drivers. They have identical hardware support. What you are talking about is GUI tools for configuring the networks. Such an error is not uncommon for people who grew up on Windows, but there is a very clear distinction. There is a clear distinction between Linux, the kernel, and the software, largely GNU, that comprises what is often thought of as the Operating System, and the GUI, which may include a huge desktop environment such as KDE and Gnome, or a window manager as simple as FVWM. Of course there is also the X protocol, which all linux GUI's use.

Edit2 response: No offense was taken, and maybe someone will benefit from reading it.

Comment

Ok so i got Kubuntu 9.04 x64 installed on the computer, but i cant make it find my wireless. the driver is installed but the wireless tab is grayed out in the network settings and i cant get it to turn on any help?

Comment

nevermind, restarted the system and its going now

Comment

i got on the internet in kubuntu but the default browser would not show the reply buttons for this forum? so i need to install Firefox, i downloaded it and.... well now i have a firefox folder with a ton of files in it... someone wanna point me in the right direction for my first installation?

Comment

Are you saying you downloaded a tar.gz from Mozilla? The way to install firefox in ubuntu is
                            sudo aptitude install firefox
                            It will install firefox 3.0.9 and you click the button under Internet in the menu. To get flash support add the medibuntu repository by following the instructions here

http://www.medibuntu.org/

and then the directions here
                            http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

Comment

i installed the tar.bz2 file and how do i sudo aptitude?

Comment

Working...
                              X