Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[solved] error with hotkey to launch konsole?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] error with hotkey to launch konsole?

Hi - a bit baffled at the difficulty of this, but I go to System Settings -> Configure Hotkey settings and set the "Run Konsole" option to ctrl-alt-T, Command/URL is "konsole" and I get the error:

KDEInit could not launch '/home/myname/bin/em-txt'.

...now, I must have set up some ~/bin/em-txt thing in the past (~/bin/ has some other scripts i actually do use), but i have no memory of this. I'm assuming some KDE config file is tweaked and i need to clean it up... any web links or pointers on where to look next? Is there some other hotkey interceptor that is set to this location?

I thought it might fix itself with my recent upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04... no change.

Thanks a million,
    -c

Re: simple: hotkey to launch konsole?

Code:
    $ grep -Hrni "run konsole" .kde
    .kde/share/config/kglobalshortcutsrc:39:{25c339ab-1ea1-4731-a7dd-8bf8e3b35db6}=Ctrl+Alt+T,none,Run Konsole
    .kde/share/config/khotkeysrc:517:Name=Run Konsole
    hth
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Re: simple: hotkey to launch konsole?

Thanks for that...

perhaps oddly, perhaps not, I see:

Code:
      ~$ grep -Hrni "run konsole" .kde
      .kde/share/config/kglobalshortcutsrc:44:{7de6e701-458e-416d-85cc-7c24c6650e05}=Ctrl+Alt+T,none,Run Konsole
      .kde/share/config/kglobalshortcutsrc:70:{7de6e701-458e-416d-85cc-7c24c6650e05}=none,Ctrl+Alt+T,Run Konsole
      .kde/share/config/khotkeysrc:90:Name=Run Konsole                             
      Anyway, I'm thinking that this "/home/<myusername>/bin/em-txt" might be configured somewhere in the konsole or kde configs? Any ideas on where to find that? I've grepped around for "em-txt" in various directories, but I can never figure out where the heck all the kde directories are in the first place. No sign yet of that value, though. Grepped in /usr/share/kde4 and /usr/share/applications and /etc/kde4 and ~/.kde...

Maybe this is interesting: I made a script in ~/bin/em-txt:

Code:
      #!/bin/sh
      echo Hello there
      ...then, hitting the hot-key causes a Konsole app-starting-up-indicator-icon to appear below my mouse pointer for a few seconds, but no Konsole starts (confirmed by watching ps output).

I mean, it sounds like at some point in the hazy past I configured the system to point to this script instead of the actual konsole app, for whatever reason, but I can't figure out where that configuration is... I don't know if it's a ".desktop" file or where such things might be stored...

Any thoughts?

And, in case it matters, running "konsole" from an open konsole gives this before opening normally:

Code:
      konsole(8011) Konsole::KeyboardTranslatorReader::readNext: Command """" not understood.
      konsole(8011): Attempt to use QAction "change-profile" with KXMLGUIFactory!
      If I could just figure out where to search for em-txt... :-)

Thanks a lot!
      -C

Comment

[solved] hotkey to launch konsole?

Got it:

~/.local/share/applications/kde4/konsole.desktop

had the line:

Code:
        Exec=~/bin/em-txt
        ...changed it to

Code:
        Exec=/usr/bin/konsole
        And all is well.

If anyone knows how/where that is configured through GUI i'd love to know. Maybe i tweaked it by hand back then.

There sure are a lot of kde directories all over the place. But i trust there's a good reason. :-)

Thanks,
        -C

Comment

Working...
        X