Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgraded from 8.04 to 9.04 - Impressions and (alas) problems.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgraded from 8.04 to 9.04 - Impressions and (alas) problems.

Just upgraded this morning, and so far I'm loving almost everything. It all looks so shiny! Unfortunately, I am having a few minor issues.

1) I have a Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard. In 8.04, the volume and mute buttons worked fine, and the play/pause, fwd, rev, and stop buttons all controlled amarok with no config on my behalf. Now, only the volume and mute buttons work.

2) KPackageKit is SLOW. It's been downloading files for KTorrent for 30 minutes now, and it's at 48%. It's not my internet connection; everything else runs at the broadband speeds I'm used to.

3) I can't seem to install digiKam using KPackageKit. When I try, I get the following message:
    Code:
    A package dependency could not be found. More information is available in the detailed report.
    When I click the button to show details, it says:
    Code:
    Remove the package libgpod4-nogtk before
    I can't seem to find that package to remove it.

I think these last couple may be related:

I may have actually just fixed this one, I'll get back you you

Re: Upgraded from 8.04 to 9.04 - Impressions and (alas) problems.

I think the kubuntu 9.04 is the most unstable and crappy release from ubuntu so far. Worse it was release even before system freezes were fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by jithin1987
      I think the kubuntu 9.04 is the most unstable and crappy release from ubuntu so far. Worse it was release even before system freezes were fixed.
      HAHAHA

Comment

Originally posted by jithin1987
        Apart from the sound issues I had immediately after updating it seems fine to me. Hasn't frozen, crashed or any other type of buggy behaviour.

Comment

Problems are with intel chipsets especially 965 ones

Comment

Originally posted by wfischer
            1) I have a Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard. In 8.04, the volume and mute buttons worked fine, and the play/pause, fwd, rev, and stop buttons all controlled amarok with no config on my behalf. Now, only the volume and mute buttons work.
            Solved this one by setting the media buttons as keyboard shortcuts in Amarok... but it only works when Amarok is on top :/

Comment

Jaunty has been working flawlessly on my intel 965 for a month.

Comment

I have 2 computer similar hardware amd dual core, asus motherboard nvidia graphicd,
                First computer upgrade from 8.10 kde4.1 through the internet with no problems.
                second computer from 8.1 kde4.2 using the cd has a lot of problems ,Nivida driver won't install and the Kpackage kit lock up at times and when it doesn't takes forever to download.

Comment

New Post I restored 8.1 from backup and this time I upgraded from the Internet and everything went Fine. I'm now running Juanty
                  so faar without any problems

Comment

Finally managed to fix all the problems I listed above, though I had to forget trying to use KPackageKit and use apt-get instead.

Sometimes simple is better

Comment

Installed 9.04 today and I'm not sure if it was worth the trouble (had to keep my computer running all night and day for the upgrade download). At first restart, there was a process Kde4 that was hogging up all 100% of one of my cpu cores (i.e., system monitor showed 50% usage). But rebooting seems to have fixed that.

On the plus side, I like the fact that I can now auto-hide my task bar. Also the preview facility in Ark is now working (which it was not with kde 4.1). Plus the analog black clock now has some texture to its face which makes it more easier to read.

I tried installing a few widgets like CpuFreqUtil ... but the installation of any new widget seems to be failing. So I have no idea at what frequency my cpu is running. Previously, the Battery Monitor would show the cpu frequencies, but now there is no such thing. Also, when I had a power failure, my laptop immediately went into sleep mode without asking me. Not sure where I can change these settings. The 9.04 still does not recognize the wireless/bluetooth cards in my Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop.

So its sort of a mixed experience ... not sure what to make of it yet.

Comment

@wfischer: Have a look at the keyboard layout page in the settings. It's mostly for language, but there is also a logitech layout setting....which has an effect on whether the media keys work.

Comment

Working...
                        X