This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sub-Network for WiFi

I've been asked to set up a WiFi connection for some boy scouts in their meeting room. There is a WiFi router elsewhere on the property with the usual 192.168.0.1 set up, password, encryption, etc. No problem attaching to it with a laptop or PC with WiFi Card. They asked to set up something they call a sub-net in the room, meaning that when the scouts bring in a laptop, they can sign onto the WiFi in the room. See, the 192.168.0.1 WiFi is a long distance away in another building. So they are thinking put a router with a directional antenna to pick up the main WiFi signal and then distribute it to the room of students. I would appreciate help in this matter

Re: Sub-Network for WiFi

is there wired ethernet in the room? If so, you can put an access point in the room, or even use another wireless router in the room (but be sure to turn off DHCP)...

mm0
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Originally posted by muzicman0
      is there wired ethernet in the room? If so, you can put an access point in the room, or even use another wireless router in the room (but be sure to turn off DHCP)...

mm0
      No wired within about 2-1/2 miles .. it is a Scout camping type area. Link to nearest WiFi is via a direction WiFi antenna to the main building. Solid signal. Is it possible to set a wireless router with the directionantenna pinted at the main station, then somehow connect the laptops via that wireless router?

Comment

You might want to look at this.
        http://www.ohgizmo.com/2007/05/14/me...wifi-repeater/
        I have no experience with it, or anything like it, but it looks interesting. I may have to try it myself. Maybe someone else here has experience with a wifi repeater?

Comment

Or use a wireless bridge. You won't be able to use a wireless router, unless it has that feature built in, and I haven't seen too many (any?) that do.

mm0
          Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Digging some more I just found this.
            https://www.open-mesh.com/store/prod...al-Mini-Router

Comment

Originally posted by mando_hacker
              You might want to look at this.
              http://www.ohgizmo.com/2007/05/14/me...wifi-repeater/
              I have no experience with it, or anything like it, but it looks interesting. I may have to try it myself. Maybe someone else here has experience with a wifi repeater?
              Thanks for the info. Right now I have to work with what has been donated. No money as usual. We have a Dell 700 Mhz box with a 20Gb HD; a wifi card in it and a D-Link 2310 WiFi Router. All donated along with some junk that didn't work. People usually donate stuff because it is cluttering up their garage and we go through the trash and try to find the stuff that works, even if it is 5 years behind times. Teaches the scouts some excellent lessons in technology and sociology.

Comment

Thinking here. Does you computer have an ethernet card? If so you should be able to use the wifi card as one interface ( to internet) connect the wifi router via ethernet to the other interface, and use iptables to set up NAT from the wifi router through the ethernet to the wifi card. This would mean each laptop gets the wifi router as its default gateway, the wifi router uses the ethernet connection as its default gateway, which is forwarded through the wifi card to the wifi router in the main building.

Sounds quite confusing but I don't know why it would not work.

Comment

Originally posted by mando_hacker
                  Thinking here. Does you computer have an ethernet card? If so you should be able to use the wifi card as one interface ( to internet) connect the wifi router via ethernet to the other interface, and use iptables to set up NAT from the wifi router through the ethernet to the wifi card. This would mean each laptop gets the wifi router as its default gateway, the wifi router uses the ethernet connection as its default gateway, which is forwarded through the wifi card to the wifi router in the main building.

Sounds quite confusing but I don't know why it would not work.
                  You are right, it does sound confusing. How do I get to the wired ethernet other than by running a 2-1/2 mile cable through the woods and thence to the WiFi router? That should be a lesson in Woodscraft, somehow. OTH, if you mean connect the WiFi long range antenna to the antenna input of the WiFi router, then conenct the WiFi Router to another router via the WiFi's WAN port, that is possible. I just talked to one of the folks and they are willing to donate another WiFi Router.

Comment

I don't think you can do it unless you find a router that can be used as a wireless client bridge to the access point in the main building. The D-Link 2310 does not support configuration as a wireless Ethernet client bridge. You need a wireless router that supports configuration as a bridge or a wired connection at the location.
                    linux &amp;&amp; bash = &quot;the future&quot;

Comment

Originally posted by ukchucktown
                      I don't think you can do it unless you find a router that can be used as a wireless client bridge to the access point in the main building. The D-Link 2310 does not support configuration as a wireless Ethernet client bridge. You need a wireless router that supports configuration as a bridge or a wired connection at the location.
                      OK, I got another guy helping me here .. he has a Linksys BEFSR11, which is a wired single port adaptor. It takes the wire from a Cable Adaptor (Cable TV thing with internet on it) into the port marked "WAN" then you can plug into the other port which is labeled "LAN". Now supposedly we can plug into that with a wireless router and the wireless router will think that it is seeing a wire from the regular internet. What do yo think? Don't we have to fix it so that the ip addresses are different from the 192.168.01.1 family .. right?

Comment

I think no. You stated previously the site is in the woods with no wired network connectivity, including cable or DSL. All your buddy gave you was a DSL router. Where exactly is the cable Internet or DSL you plan on plugging into? You need to create a wireless bridge to the wireless in the main building two miles away (good luck with the right equipment), unfortunately, you don't have the equipment to do it.

You can bridge with a Linksys WRT54G. It's probably the best (most reliable) consumer grade wireless router. it will only set you back about $50 dollars. If it can see the wireless from the building you can do it.
                        linux &amp;&amp; bash = &quot;the future&quot;

Comment

Originally posted by ukchucktown
                          I think no. You stated previously the site is in the woods with no wired network connectivity, including cable or DSL. All your buddy gave you was a DSL router. Where exactly is the cable Internet or DSL you plan on plugging into? You need to create a wireless bridge to the wireless in the main building two miles away (good luck with the right equipment), unfortunately, you don't have the equipment to do it.

You can bridge with a Linksys WRT54G. It's probably the best (most reliable) consumer grade wireless router. it will only set you back about $50 dollars. If it can see the wireless from the building you can do it.
                          OK, thank you for the guidance. Back to passing the hat around.

Regards,, Dave

Comment

Working...
                          X