This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] Removing modules from kernel

Short question: how do I remove modules from the kernel permanently?

Long question: I installed the kvm package just to look at what it does, and decided I didn't want it. I removed the package (or so I thought), but then discovered it had loaded modules (kvm and kvm-intel) into the kernel. Those modules prevent virutalbox from running. I can remove them on the fly with rmmod, but at next bootup, there they are. I deleted them wherever they were in the lib directory, but the last kernel update replaced them (thank you so much). How do I get rid of these once and forever?
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Re: Removing modules from kernel

The question is why are they being loaded? The installation of kvm must have done something to cause that. One thing it could have done is place a listing of those modules in /etc/modules, causing them to load at boot. I might also have placed something in /etc/modprobe.d.

The package should undo what it did if you purge it, rather than removing it. If you run
    dpkg -l | grep kvm
    does it show that package with rc status? If so it has not deconfigured everything.
    sudo aptitude purge package1 package2 ...
    should cause the configuration to be undone.

Comment

Re: [solved] Removing modules from kernel

Thanks. I tried purging it once, but I guess it didn't take.
      This time, dpkg -P kvm did the trick. Aptitude is a no-go; for some strange reason, it wants to remove a ton of stuff. Looks like kvm is finally gone.
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Re: [solved] Removing modules from kernel

Glad you got that working, but if aptitude wants to uninstall a lot of stuff you should fix your sources and get it straight. It will come back to haunt you if you don't.

Comment

Working...
        X