X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Dual Boot Install Video Tutorials, Absolute Beginners Guide

Hey guys and gals,

First time on the forums here but long time users. Over the last few days I have been recording and writing some articles on dual booting Kubuntu with Windows Vista. I have videos up at my blog www.coverlesstech.com , Just thought I would drop them here to get your guys opinion and for any new people to watch and read. If you find the embedded video player to small just click the video while it is playing and it will open in youtube, there you can watch an HD version in their big HD player. This is meant for the absolute beginner Linux user so I try not to delve to deep into Linux.

Getting Windows Ready:
    http://coverlesstech.com/index.php/2...for-absolute-1

Installing Linux:
    http://coverlesstech.com/index.php/2...for-absolute-2

Wubi:
    http://coverlesstech.com/index.php/2...for-absolute-3

I have some beginners tips and tricks recorded as well that I plan on putting up in the future.

If you guys think they are good you can help pimp them if they answer someones questions down the road, or if you think they are good enough to add to a support wiki or something. I'm kind of new to the whole tutorial scene and I don't really know the best way to get to word out, but I though having video might help a lot of people(most people don't do video).

Re: Kubuntu Install Video Tutorials, Absolute Beginners Guide

I personally find that way to Microsoft oriented for my taste.

Comment

Re: Kubuntu Dual Boot Install Video Tutorials, Absolute Beginners Guide

It is a dual boot tutorial. No need to push new linux users into the ocean so they get lost. Gotta leave them with something familiar that they can go back to easily, without knowing they can go back they may never give it a shot.

Comment

I think it's it pretty good. I've been dual booting XP and Kubuntu for about a month and I agree if people think they cann easily switch back they are more likely to try it.

Another good article would be on installing Firefox ,Firefox Plugins, And Thunderbird because a lot of
        windows users are familiar with them

Comment

What partitioner did you use to dual boot? gparted? I talk about Vista in the guide but I've never dual booted an XP machine so I'm never really messed with partitioning on it to much.

Yup, installing things is going into the next post. Tips and tricks. I am doing a full tips and tricks post using only the GUI(try not to scare people away with the konsole quite yet). I've got installing things done(firefox), GRUB menu editing done,how to update, activate drivers, and turn on desktop effects(built in, not compiz, that one will probably be a video in itself). I've just got to edit the video to put it up.

Comment

I installed Kubuntu on 2 computers. The first one I installed a new 250GB Hard drive. Used Xp
            install disk to make a 40gb NTFS partition and left the rest Unallocted. Then installed Kubuntu by selecting Manual and Then selecting Use Free space configuring 30GB for Ext3 and 4Gb for swap.
            Then after Install I booted Winxp and Partition the rest as Drive d NTFS. I Share Drive D with Winxp
            and Kubuntu.
            The seconed computer with 2 80GB hard Drives .I used gparted, resized Xp to 50GB and left
            the rest unallocted. Installed Kubuntu using Manual option and installed Kubuntu on the remaing
            free space, Used 2gb for Swap.

I thiink most users could just boot the Kubuntu install CD and let Kubuntu do the work by selection
            the first option 50% For Win and 50% for Kubuntu.

Comment

Working...
            X