This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pingus does not load :(

So I was browsing through a copy of linux journal today ( old copy from 08 or something) and i saw an article on pingu, so of course I decided that when I got home I had to get it. because who didnt love lemmings?
    Opened up synaptic, searched for pingus downloaded and installed it
    click on the link in my k-menu and I get what looks like a Konsole screen for a second then it dissapears. nothing happens nothing boots. tried restarting the pc but that didnt help.
    You guys have been incredibly helpful.So I hate to bother you, but this seems to me to be the install from hell. just doesnt like me.
    I did a search on the site but could not find anything relevant, and I really do not like the way that the search works on this site...

Re: Pingus does not load

I decided to try running it from the konsole (typed in pingus, was kindof intuitive in that way) this is what I get:

Error: DictionaryManager: Couldn't find LanguageDef for 'C', leaving current dictionary unchanged
    Welcome to Pingus 0.7.2!
    ========================
    data path: /usr/games/../share/games/pingus/data/
    language: English (en)
    font encoding: iso-8859-1
    sound support: enabled
    music support: enabled
    resolution: 800x600
    fullscreen: disabled

SavegameManager: Parser problem: Couldn't open file '/home/dan/.pingus/savegames/savegames.scm'.
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:768parse_card) cannot find card '0'
    ALSA lib conf.c:3513_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:392snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
    ALSA lib conf.c:3513_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
    ALSA lib conf.c:3513_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib conf.c:3985snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2196snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
    Unable to initialize SDL_Mixer: No available audio device
    Pingus: Unknown throw caught!

Now this brings me to think that my audio has something to do with it, which kind of rings a bell because I get sound through my speakers but the only way I can change the volume is through the speakers themselves or the amarok app, the audio mixer volume does not change audio volume, is set to pnp device. I'll take a look in the faq on audio and see if I can find that solution. hopefully it fixes the rest

Comment

Re: Pingus does not load

Okay well from what I've learned so far is because I have an m2ne-sli motherboard I'm pretty well screwed with sound because of the CM6501 audio chip. but why do I have some sound? I'm going to keep researching this....
      Edit:

Changed the cards name to default
      Code:
      dan@DanDesktop:~$ asoundconf set-default-card default
      Pingus loads now! sounds like crap though... I'm going to continue to research this odd problem with the CM6501 sound driver problems, seems like EVERYONE has it that has that driver, and not a whole lot's been done about it. in the mean time I'm going to save some penguins

Comment

Working...
      X