X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xsession: Unable to launch failsafe

Hello friends.
    I encountered a new problem

I changed some gpx settings one setting in particular that had to do with textures. Kubuntu then crash after I hit apply.
    I tried to log back in but I after I type my password I get the loading screen and then it crashed and restarts the process.
    I tried to load in failsafe but I get this error warning that says

Xsession: Unable to launch failsafe xsession --- xterminal - emulator not found aborting..

So is there anyway I can get back in to my system with out having to reinstall everything?
    Thanks for you help,

Re: Xsession: Unable to launch failsafe

Reboot, at first menu press ESC to get grub menu. At grub menu select Rescue mode. At rescue menu select xfix. That will probably get you there.

Comment

Originally posted by mando_hacker
      Reboot, at first menu press ESC to get grub menu. At grub menu select Rescue mode. At rescue menu select xfix. That will probably get you there.
      When I press ESC to get grub I get a menu

Kernal 2.6.27-11- Generic
      Kernal 2.6.27-11- Generic (recovery mode)
      Kernal 2.6.27-7- Generic
      Kernal 2.6.27-7 Generic (recovery mode)

what do i need to select to get into grub?

Comment

That is the grub menu. Select the top recovery mode
        This will get you another menu of things you can do. One of those is fix the X server, I think it is called xfix. Select that and follow the directions.

Comment

That is the grub menu. Select the top recovery mode
          This will get you another menu of things you can do. One of those is fix the X server, I think it is called xfix. Select that and follow the directions.

Yep I followed the instructions to fix it but still the same problem is there.

Comment

The fix will depend on what you did. If you were using the nvidia configuration the fix is probably to edit you /etc/X11/xorg.conf files and comment the lines that were added. If you were doing something in a KDE4 configuration the problem is probably some where in ~/.kde/share/config and you could
            "mv .kde bad.kde" and login again to recreate a new .kde directory that will be back to the default settings.

Comment

The fix will depend on what you did. If you were using the nvidia configuration the fix is probably to edit you /etc/X11/xorg.conf files and comment the lines that were added. If you were doing something in a KDE4 configuration the problem is probably some where in ~/.kde/share/config and you could
              "mv .kde bad.kde" and login again to recreate a new .kde directory that will be back to the default settings.
              You will have to excuse me, I am pretty new at linux. So this question is probably and easy one to answer.
              How can I get to my terminal from my login screen, or where can I go to to type in this code??

Comment

Two possibilities. If you are sitting at the GUI login screen you can probably use CTL-ALT-F1 (Hold Control and Alt while pressing F1) to get to a text login. Otherwise you can use the rescue boot and select "Root shell with network".

Comment

Working...
                X