This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64 bit system

Hi, I am trying to set up my computer so that I have the option to dual boot in windows vista or kubuntu. I have played around with kubuntu. But I want to know which would be best to run on a 64 bit system or if that even matters. I have seen the 8.1 version and really like it, but I would like to know which of the newer versions would be best to install. Further more, I have had trouble trying to repartition the hard drive correctly so that I do not completely wipe out the Windows Vista. So I was hoping somebody had a couple of tips to ensure that I repartition correctly so as to be able to dual boot and assign the right amount of memory to each OS.

Re: 64 bit system

As to your concerns, 8.10 is stable and a very good place to start. 9.04 will be out at end of month. If you have a 64bit system then by all means use the 64 bit version of kubuntu. You can use the disk manager in vista to reformat your hd or use the hard drive tools in the install of kubuntu. A good place to start is to divide your hd in equal patitions.

I have always been leary of putting two or more systems on the same hd. I have vista on one drive, for my wife, and kubuntu on the second drive. I have had no problems other than a few I have caused myself. When you install kubuntu it will setup the grub loader wether you use one hd or two.
    If you partition using vista, you will not need to format the partition. Kubuntu will format with the right ext 3 or 4. Good luck and have fun with it.

Comment

for partition sizes, this is my rule of thumb:

for the '/' partition: 12-15GB (you could probably get away with as low as 8GB if a must)
      for the 'Swap' Partition: Double your ram size (IE: if you have 2Gig RAM, use a 4 Gig swap)
      for the '/home' partition, use the rest of the space, minus what you leave for Vista, obviously.

Hope that helps also!

mm0

P.S. If you do install 8.10 (which is a good version), I suggest to upgrade to KDE 4.2.x, as it runs much smoother.

P.P.S. Also, if you use the Kubuntu install disk to repartition, you must resize the Vista partition first...then create the new partitions in the empty space...
      Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

To throw in my 2 cents worth you are getting good advice here. I personally see no reason to have swap = 2 x RAM, but swap = RAM is reasonable. The only difference is maybe 2 GB of disk which is not worth talking about though.

The other thing I would suggest is that you install Jaunty, 9.04. I know it is still Beta but it is very close to release and is probably about the best Ubuntu/Kubuntu ever. And do use 64 bit.

Comment

Re: Dual Booting Vista 64 Bit with Kubuntu 8.10

The second link in the initial post is what you want to go to and review.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by mando_hacker
            To throw in my 2 cents worth you are getting good advice here. I personally see no reason to have swap = 2 x RAM, but swap = RAM is reasonable. The only difference is maybe 2 GB of disk which is not worth talking about though.
            I would agree with that on a desktop, but when dealing with a laptop, and suspend, you need a bigger swap file if you suspend to disk.
            Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Actually suspend to disk is about the only reason to make the swap as large as the RAM. I don't understand why you would need it any larger than the RAM.

Comment

While opinions vary, and the 2x memory is probably old school...even the ubuntu swap page recommends between 1 and 2x memory. There are plenty of applications that use insane amounts of memory, for example audio and video applications, especially anything sample based...as well as some intense 3D games. will it run fine with less? probably, but with hard drives being cheap, why risk it. I routinely run apps that take up 4-6 Gigs of memory.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq

mm0

Comment

Hi!
                  I have Kubuntu 8.10 on a laptop 64bit, KDE4. (but i'm going to upgrade soon to 4.2), dual boot with Vista.
                  I recommend it: It works very well!!!
                  Sometimes there are problems in installing programs that are only for 32 bits (Adobe Reader, Skype) but finally I've succeeded in installing ALL. just searching on the forums.

Comment

I did a little more digging on the suspend to disk requirements and got it more clarified in my mind at least. What is required is enough unused disk space to contain all physical RAM. That means if you have 4 GB of RAM and you are using 1 GB of swap, to suspend to your swap space you need 5GB of swap, the 1 in use as swap and enough free space to store the 4 GB.

http://www.tuxonice.net

That is a first approximation as LZF compression can be used and cache can be left out of the suspend image. This combined with typical usage patterns that include very little swap and much buffering lead to a situation in which most people will be OK with swap = RAM, but that is counting on not using much swap. So the recommendation of swap = (1 to 2) x RAM makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                    X