Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System monitor in kubuntu like the one in ubuntu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System monitor in kubuntu like the one in ubuntu?

Hi all.
    I run ubuntu on my laptop and kubuntu on the desktop. Have only recently come from windows (guess you can probably tell that )
    Recently discovered that system monitor in ubuntu that is accessible from the menu system does pretty much the same thing as the ctrl-alt-del menu in windows. Is there an equivalent program in kubuntu? Can't find it on the menu.

And to really make my day, would there be any easy way to bind this to a ctrl-alt-del key combo?

Cheers
    Jon

PS and one little thing, how do I get my screen to power off when not used? The display settings has settings for screensaver, and suspend etc, but nothing to set the time after which the computer goes to standby. Is this possible to do?

Re: System monitor in kubuntu like the one in ubuntu?

Hi, jonboy99, welcome to Kubuntu

I think you will find that the system monitor is the same in ubuntu and Kubuntu.

To turn your screen off, use: System Settings>Display>Power Saving
    then click on Administrator Mode, enter your password and set it to whatever time you want. Hope this helps

Cheers

Lowey
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Hi lowey, thanks for reply.
      When I go to system settings>display>power control there is an option to 'enable display power management' but no button for administrator mode, so there appears to be no way of setting the time to power down.

In gnome the command line to start the system monitor is

gnome-system-monitor

but this doesn't do anything in kde.

Cheers
      Jon

Comment

Hmm, the button should be there in the bottom right of the windows, try resizing the window, sometimes the buttons aren't visible until you resize.

Comment

No definitely not there if if window expanded to full screen. Have a spare computer too and just checked that doesn't have it either.
          I wonder if it's because they're both running on the hated ATI graphics cards

Comment

Originally posted by jonboy99
            Recently discovered that system monitor in ubuntu that is accessible from the menu system does pretty much the same thing as the ctrl-alt-del menu in windows. Is there an equivalent program in kubuntu? Can't find it on the menu.
            Try KSysGuard - if it's not installed, it should be quite easy to find in Adept/Synaptic.

Comment

There is also a keyboard shortcut for it (the task manager):
              Systemsettings>Regional&Accessibility>Keyboard Shortcuts>Global Shortcuts>Desktop>Show Taskmanager

I have it set as Ctrl+Esc, but I can't remember if that is the default :P

Comment

Ctrl+Esc launches a part of KSysGuard which displays the running processes. I say "a part" because the whole KSysGuard application also shows stuff like CPU usage, memory, etc. in graphs (you can launch that from either KMenu or by typing ksysguard in a Run Command box).

As for the Power saving features for the monitor, last time I checked you don't need to be an administrator for that. System Settings > Peripherals > Display then check the Enable display power management box.
                Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

I'm an idiot - I assumed the standby/suspend/off functions referred to the whole computer, but off course they relate to the monitor only - doh.

Thanks for the suggestions; i'll try the ksysguard thing tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                  X