X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Linux and Kubuntu

Hi there,

Yesterday, I decided to try Kubuntu 8.10 on my desktop PC. I have been using Windows my whole life, and set up Kubuntu to dual boot alongside Windows Vista.
    I had a couple of questions that I couldn't search/Google:

My PC: Quad core Pentium, 4GB RAM, 256 Radeon video card, home built.

1. Why does GRUB show multiple versions of Kubuntu? Mine shows 2 different kernels and their corresponding repair ones. Should I always use the newer (I am assuming newer as in the higher number) kernel? And will it do me any harm to remove them by using the GRUB editor in System Settings?

2. How exactly does the login process work? In Vista, I prefer to not have a login password. Is that possible with Kubuntu?

3. It seems that Kubuntu doesn't run as smoothly as Vista (on my computer). I'm meaning visually- for instance when I click on the KDE menu, it takes a split second to process, where on Vista it doesn't. Or when minimizing a window it isn't a smooth minimization. Are there any possible reasons for this? My video card maybe? Or is this Kubuntu still in the works?

4. Finally, computers at my school dual boot Windows XP and Linux (not sure which distro). However, the bootloader (or what I think it the bootloader) is not textual- it has a pictur eof the Windows logo and the Linux Penguin logo. You simply click on the OS that you want to boot.
    Can this be done with Kubuntu/Vista? If so, could someone help me out with a link? I did try searching, but I am still trying to learn a lot of the lingo/terms for the different things in Linux.

Despite these initial small issues, I like Linux so far. I dunno... something about the whole not having to do everything Windows tells you to do when it wants you to is really, really nice

Thanks all for any replies!

Re: New to Linux and Kubuntu

welcome to Linux!

The extra kernels listed in the grub menu are from upgrades (I would guess that after you installed the base version, there was a kernel update). It is safe to remove them, but I usually will leave a few, that way if you need to boot into an older kernel (IE: the new kernel makes your wireless not work...could happen), you have the option.

I believe there is an option in the advanced tab of the system settings for login settings...somewhere in there is an option for auto login...don't remember exactly where...

type this in the konsole:
    Code:
    kde4-config -v
    see what it says your kde4 version is...liekly 4.1.2 or 4.2.x...if it is below 4.2.x, I would suggest upgrading to 4.2...it is much 'snappier', and overall better (IMHO).

mm0
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Hello and Welcome.

For login options, press <Alt> + <F2>, type kcontrol in the field, and navigate to ->System Administration ->Login Manager, enter Administrator Mode (tab at the bottom) and type your password, select the Convenience tab, and enable Autologin and Persistent, Preselect User ->Previous.

Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by azstang66
        Hi there,

Yesterday, I decided to try Kubuntu 8.10 on my desktop PC. I have been using Windows my whole life, and set up Kubuntu to dual boot alongside Windows Vista.
        I had a couple of questions that I couldn't search/Google:

My PC: Quad core Pentium, 4GB RAM, 256 Radeon video card, home built.
        Nice box!

1. Why does GRUB show multiple versions of Kubuntu? Mine shows 2 different kernels and their corresponding repair ones. Should I always use the newer (I am assuming newer as in the higher number) kernel? And will it do me any harm to remove them by using the GRUB editor in System Settings?
        When you do an update that includes a new kernel it is installed and the an entry is added to grub and marked as the default kernel to boot. It's "repair" kernel is the same kernel with different parameters which usually results in a VESA type display, no network, etc...

Just removing the grub entries does not remove the extra kernels. The main reason why they are left installed is because sometimes an improvement in the kernel which helps someone else may have the opposite effect on your installation because of your different hardware, so you may need to boot one of the older kernels in order to recover some capability the new kernel may have removed or modified.

IF you have to or want to remove them you can use "sudo apt-get remove (kernel name)" or use Synapic and locate the extra kernel(s) and mark them for removal and click the green "Apply" checkmark.

2. How exactly does the login process work? In Vista, I prefer to not have a login password. Is that possible with Kubuntu?
        After HAL does its configuration, video is initialized, the kdm (kubuntu display manager) is started, a login page is displayed. You can control how it is displayed and what conditions have to be met for a successful login by using the "systemsettings" application. It can be accessed via the menu: System --> System Settings.

A graphical dialog appears which has two tabs. The advanced tab has a "session manager" icon and a "Login Manager" icon. Study both of them and you'll see what they do. For your question the 7th tab on the "Login Manager" has the options you want to set up an automatic login.

3. It seems that Kubuntu doesn't run as smoothly as Vista (on my computer). I'm meaning visually- for instance when I click on the KDE menu, it takes a split second to process, where on Vista it doesn't. Or when minimizing a window it isn't a smooth minimization. Are there any possible reasons for this? My video card maybe? Or is this Kubuntu still in the works?
        The LiveCD you downloaded and installed from was probably the 320-bit version of Kubuntu, which uses a 32-bit kernel. To see all 4GB you'd need to download and install the 64-bit version of Kubuntu. If you do that and you have trouble getting some 32-bit apps running on 64 bit version of Kubuntu the "getlibs" app usually solves their problems. Most 32 bit apps should have no problem running on a 64bit version of Kubuntu. My friend ran the 64-bit version and the only thing I noticed different from my 32 bit version was that his was signficantly faster than mine.

4. Finally, computers at my school dual boot Windows XP and Linux (not sure which distro). However, the bootloader (or what I think it the bootloader) is not textual- it has a pictur eof the Windows logo and the Linux Penguin logo. You simply click on the OS that you want to boot.
        Can this be done with Kubuntu/Vista? If so, could someone help me out with a link? I did try searching, but I am still trying to learn a lot of the lingo/terms for the different things in Linux.
        Yes, and some distributions have a graphical boot loader, but I noticed that Kubuntu doesn't. I never bother the boot loader because I am running only Linux on my system so my boot loader countdown is set to 3 seconds in case I ever want to edit the boot string sequence.

Despite these initial small issues, I like Linux so far. I dunno... something about the whole not having to do everything Windows tells you to do when it wants you to is really, really nice
        Sure is! I also like the fact that Linux isn't playing "Big Brother", watching over your shoulder to block your computer if Ballmer doesn't like what you are doing, and Linux doesn't regularly gather your cookie and personal information and pipe it to some server, like Microsoft does, to add it to other demographic data which is sold to the highest bidder.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for your help guys!

So I looked, and I currently have KDE 4.1.1. So I am going to find out how to install KDE 4.2.2.

Also figured out the login issues... thanks for that too!

Couple more questions:

1. Does anybody out there know of a graphical bootloader for Kubuntu?

2. When you install something, say a desktop theme or background that you search for from other users etc. , where does it save to? I cannot for the life of me find them!

Comment

1. Does anybody out there know of a graphical bootloader for Kubuntu?
            Maybe this ? > Topic: KDE4.1 grub splashscreen

Google finds: GAG (Graphical Boot Manager)
            GAG is tool for new users who wish to have several Linux distributions on the same hard disk. This boot manager allows you to graphically create the links to the different partitions and this, without having to edit the configuration file of your bootloader /boot/grub/menu.lst for GRUB or /etc/lilo.conf for LILO

2. When you install something, say a desktop theme or background that you search for from other users etc. , where does it save to? I cannot for the life of me find them!
            ~/.kde/share/apps/desktoptheme (/home/<YOUR_USERNAME>/.kde/share/apps/desktoptheme)
            ~/.kde/share/wallpapers
            ~/.kde/share/icons

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by azstang66
              Thanks for your help guys!

So I looked, and I currently have KDE 4.1.1. So I am going to find out how to install KDE 4.2.2.

sudo apt-get update
              sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X