X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help me with my sound problem.

Hi,
    I hate to say it but I'm a newb here. I have a acer aspire 6920 and I just installed this kubuntu 9.04 and I cannot get sound to work. I have followed these steps on this site http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...highlight=oss4
    I must have messed up somewhere. I think I need to uninstall the OSS or it is not even on here. Maybe I need to reinstall the ASLA. I don't know please help.

Re: Please help me with my sound problem.

Have you seen "Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers" at http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099811.0 question #6 No Audio?

This leads to "Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide" at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by psychnaut
      Thanks for your help.
      I have made it as far as step 3 but when I went to this site my card is not listed. http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/
      I am looking for the Intel corp. 82801H (ICH8 family HD Audio) PCI Express Port 3
      Seems every other card is listed except mine. Any ideas?

Also my sound card was not found in step 4

Comment

This post on Ubuntu Forum claims to install alsa sound correctly:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...er+aspire+6920

Follow the instructions exactly.

Comment

It would be most helpful to see the cut and paste of the line in lspci. Mine shows
          00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
          which I believe is the same as yours, although it might be different since you refer to it differently. I expect it will use snd_hda_intel in any case.

lsmod | grep snd

will probably show that numerous modules are installed, which indicates that drivers are loaded and ready to rock.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

Alright I freshly reinstalled Kubuntu 9.04 so I can get this right.
            I went to the link you gave me here. I downloaded the alsa_setup.sh file to my Home directly
            I run this command sudo chmod +x alsa_setup_1.0.18.sh in terminal and I get this message.
            chmod: cannot access `alsa_setup_1.0.18.sh': No such file or directory

I hate being a newb.

Comment

Try this:
              sudo chmod +x ./alsa_setup_1.0.18.sh

The "./" tells chmod to look in the current directory for alsa_stup_1.0.18.sh IF "." isn't in the PATH environmental variable. There is NO space between "/" and "a".
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I downloaded the alsa_setup.sh file to my Home directly ...

I hate being a newb.
                hah -- yes, well, we're all noobs at something or other, aren't we?

OK, here's a rule to put way up high on your list of important stuff to know: Do NOT install software from your /home/psychnaut directory. It's OK to save the downloads there, and you might get by with it once or twice, but doing "sudo" operations in the user's home folder may well lead to a change of permissions in the .ICEauthority or other critical files that will cause the user to be locked out -- resulting in a "login loop" in which KDE will not open the desktop for you.

So, after you download such a file, you need to change to the /tmp directory, and do your installing from there, following GrayGeek's advice. Everything you save in /tmp, including subdirectories that you make and files that you extract, gets cleaned out in the next reboot, so you don't have to worry about cleaning up afterwards.

Comment

hah -- yes, well, we're all noobs at something or other, aren't we?
                  Even after 11 years of using Linux!

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't learn something new about Linux, or forget something I did know. A lot of what I learned about Linux in 1998, just like what I learned about Win3fwg or Win95, is not longer applicable.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Yes. Every new motherboard, and every new BIOS, and every new kernel .... it is a "continuous learning" situation, for sure.

Comment

Yes. Every new motherboard, and every new BIOS, and every new kernel .... it is a "continuous learning" situation, for sure.
                      Yup. Linux is what I use to keep exercising this 68 year old brain...

Comment

Yep I finally got my sound to work thanks to the link you provided me. I have another question. My system sound works like my system beep. However I cannot play sound such as Mp3 or get sound from youtube. Any ideas?

Comment

Yep I finally got my sound to work thanks to the link you provided me. I have another question. My system sound works like my system beep. However I cannot play sound such as Mp3 or get sound from youtube. Any ideas?
                          Nevermind I just need to turn up the volume, Thanks for everyones help.
                          Now to get Call of Duty 4 to run in this mess

Comment

Great -- I'm glad that script got the job done for you.

Ummmmmmmmmm .... isn't COD a Windows app?

I wouldn't spend TOO much time trying to run it on a Linux box .....

Comment

Great -- I'm glad that script got the job done for you.

Ummmmmmmmmm .... isn't COD a Windows app?

I wouldn't spend TOO much time trying to run it on a Linux box .....
                              How about counter strike source?

Comment

Working...
                              X