Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gutsy will not install. Live cd or alternate install cd.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gutsy will not install. Live cd or alternate install cd.

I'm currently dual booting vista 64 and kubuntu hardy. They are on 2 separate hard drives, so I dual boot by booting from the appropriate hd. My kubuntu install is on a drive with 2 partitions. I attempted to install a separate install of gutsy 64bit so that I could test out linux MCE.

Even trying to run the live cd without installing, I get several buffer errors and then after 10 minutes or so, it dumps me in the Busy Box console. I tried re-burning at 16x, but I get the same thing. I tried using the alternate install cd. It installs perfectly, but then will not boot. It will stay on the splash screen for 5 minutes or so and then go blank. If I press a key, it goes to busy box. I am unable to get past that point.

Am I missing something?

It is not a hardware issue as I have run gutsy before.

Re: Gutsy will not install. Live cd or alternate install cd.

Originally posted by Seabass

I tried re-burning at 16x, but I get the same thing.
    Ooooooooops -- there's your problem. Burn the ISO at 4X, and you should get a better result.

Comment

That seems insanely low for a cd considering that my drive can read up to 52x. I'll try it though. Hopefully it's that simple.

Comment

What dibl is simply saying is that the higher the burn rate, the greater the risk of burn/read errors. The maximum burn rate you can reasonably use depends upon a number of factors, hardware and it's capabilities, the software you are using, and the quality of the media. Any one of those can be the difference between success or failure. Whilst there will be many who have successfully done a 52X burn, it pays to keep everything running within its comfort zone, especially given the complexity of the project you are doing.

Is there any reason you are trying this with Gutsy (whose end of life is this Saturday) rather than a newer variant?

Comment

Working...
        X