Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

compile and install tarball for lemonpos - please help!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

compile and install tarball for lemonpos - please help!

For several days I've been struggling with the installation of lemonpos. I'm trying to install the latest version from a tarball and don't have enough experience to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Seems like I run into problems at every turn:

root@Firefly:/usr# cd trunk
    root@Firefly:/usr/trunk# mkdir build
    root@Firefly:/usr/trunk# cd build
    root@Firefly:/usr/trunk/build# cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/bin ..
    -- The C compiler identification is GNU
    -- The CXX compiler identification is unknown
    -- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc
    -- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc -- works
    -- Detecting C compiler ABI info
    -- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
    CMake Error: your CXX compiler: "CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was not found. Please set CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.
    CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/FindKDE4.cmake:44 (MESSAGE):
    ERROR: Could not find KDE4 kde4-config
    Call Stack (most recent call first):
    CMakeLists.txt:3 (find_package)

CMake Warning (dev) in CMakeLists.txt:
    No cmake_minimum_required command is present. A line of code such as

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.6)

should be added at the top of the file. The version specified may be lower
    if you wish to support older CMake versions for this project. For more
    information run "cmake --help-policy CMP0000".
    This warning is for project developers. Use -Wno-dev to suppress it.

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

THEN:

root@Firefly:/usr/trunk/build# cmake -Wno-dev -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/bin ..
    CMake Error: your CXX compiler: "CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was not found. Please set CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.
    CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/FindKDE4.cmake:44 (MESSAGE):
    ERROR: Could not find KDE4 kde4-config

THEN (found kde4-config at /usr/lib/kde4/bin/):

root@Firefly:/usr/trunk/build# cmake -Wno-dev -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/lib/kde4/bin ..
    CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/FindKDE4.cmake:84 (MESSAGE):
    ERROR: cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake not found in
    /root/.kde4/share/apps;/usr/lib/kde4/share/kde4/apps

I am clearly making some errors here, but I don't really understand the full meaning of the error messages or how to satisfy them. Can someone please help me figure this out? It occurred to me that if someone who is experienced with this sort of install would be willing to try the install on their own machine, the information could then be relayed to me and save a lot more hours of frustration. I've been trying to read, learn and fumble through this but it it feels like I'm stuck.

Re: compile and install tarball for lemonpos - please help!

don't have enough experience to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    And THAT is a recipe for disaster, and it looks like you are well on your way to getting there.

Your lack of experience in these matters is the #1 reason why you should restrict yourself to installing applications ONLY from the repository.

Lemonpos (a Linux Point of Sale program) IS in the repository and just a few clicks away from installing, or by using apt-get:

sudo apt-get install lemonpos

It also suggests that you have MySQL 5.0 installed and the MySQL 5.0 client, too.
    GG
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Gee thanks for the encouragement, and help. I suppose the really knowledgeable users were born with their information already installed...

The fact is that the repository version is not the latest version and many bug fixes have been made, as well as other improvements. The developer recommends installing the latest version.

Okay, now I'm ready for some kind soul who can offer some real help instead of "your not in the club".

And yes, I have installed mysql and the other required apps.

Comment

Looking at your code, part of the problem might be that you are trying to install as root.
        X and kde are disabled for the root account, and that's why you're getting the kde-config not found stuff.
        You might try logging in with your user account (that has admin privileges) and run cmake as "sudo cmake". That way the compiler should be able to find your .kde directory and its contents.
        If you still have problems after that, you might want to contact the developer, as they are the most familiar with the code.

P.S. If you have logged in as root and done things in your home directory, you might need to go through your home directory and make sure file ownerships have not been changed to root. That can cause problems all around.
        We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Thank you. That certainly made a difference, and I learned something too. It still isn't working correctly, though it looks as if progress was made. Seems like I'm missing a file:

spyder79@Firefly:/usr/trunk/build$ sudo cmake -Wno-dev -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/kde4 .. #/usr/lib/kde4
          [sudo] password for spyder79:
          CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/FindKDE4.cmake:84 (MESSAGE):
          ERROR: cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake not found in
          /home/spyder79/.kde4/share/apps;/usr/lib/kde4/share/kde4/apps

Comment

unfortunately, I probably won't be much help, but have you installed the 'build-essentials' package?

mm0
            Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Yes, I have. Thanks for taking the time to ask.

Comment

ok...another stupid question...I'm not at my laptop right now, so I can't check...is there a usr/lib/kde4 folder? it appears that it is not finding a required file to make cmake work...you might even try to reinstall cmake...
                Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Another suggestion:
                  If you worked in your home directory while logged in a root, it may have changed some of the file permissions in your .kde directory.

sudo chown -R yourname:yourname ~/.kde

where yourname is your user name.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Hi!

I have written a small howto for kubuntu users, using kubuntu 8.10 on a virtual machine.

http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawik...allation_guide

--the main page--

http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawik...itle=Main_Page

Comment

Working...
                    X