X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing apps specifically R-2.8.1

Hey Guys,
    I'm very new and trying to learn as much as fast as I can. I have Kubuntu 8.1, KDE 4.1. I want to install R the stat program and RKWARD. I'm not having any luck at all. Any suggestions?
    L.A.

Re: Installing apps specifically R-2.8.1

We would need a better idea of what you have tried already.

r and rkward are available via apt-get and Adept, but the r package is only at 2,7 something for Intrepid 8.10. Jaunty 9.04 (out later this month) will have the latest version.

Have you tried installing the existing versions from within Adept Manager, or via command-line?
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install rkward
    This will install rkward and all its needed dependencies, including r.

Comment

I tried adept, but it can't seem to find r. I haven't tried apt-get, don't know how, but I'll try that next.
      Thanks, I really want to start learning these.
      L.A.

Comment

You might want to try using the synaptic package manager to look for applications; I find it easier to hunt for applications with it.
        There are a whole series of r- applications, which may be what you are looking for.
        We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

I did try apt-get install Dkward, couldn't find package. I'll try synaptic next.
          Thanks,
          L.A.

Comment

Adept Manager and Synaptic are simply front-ends to apt. Do make sure you are using Adept Manager, and not the simplified Add/remove Software (Adept Installer) that lists all the packages available.

If you run the command I listed above in a Konsole window (a command-line interface window), you will get useful error messages there that adept/synaptic do not give. Remember that everything is CasE SenSiTiVe when typing in na command

If you do get an error, do post here the exact error message.

I do know rkward etc are available as I just installed them in a virgin 8.10 setup I just created , it installed 44 packages

Comment

Thanks. that found it and installed, but now it needs plugins & says manage these through "settings->configure rkward" I've looked in settings and don't see it. This should be easy, my mind just ain't working.

Comment

no, it ain't you. Though I have no clue as to what/how it is supposed to work, it does look like rkward is seriously buggered , missing menu item and such
                https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubun...rd/+bug/272527
                But you may want to try installing the deb package from rkward's website. It does fix your issues and seems to look and work like the docs show.

Make sure you delete the hidden folder /home/<your-username>/.rkward before running the program after installing the new package (note the 'dot' - you may need to enable hidden
                files in Dolphin's View menu to see them)

Do note that I am assuming this will work in Intrepid, I did this in my Jaunty 32-bit laptop, it would not work on my 64-bit desktop as the package from their site is only for 32-bit

Comment

I thought I'd searched everywhere, but I never found that link, Thanks. They claim many of these bugs are fixed in the new rkward-0.5.0c. Now my new question. I downloaded this and it sits on my desktop as a tar.gz file. Now how do I install it. Is this somthing a "New guy" should try?

Comment

download the .deb file instead (rkward_0.5.0c-1_i386_debian_sid.deb), then you should be able to simply double-click it to install. if it gives an error, I can walk you through a simple command-line method to check for errors

the tar.gz is the source code, and would need to be compiled. Which is usually unnecessary and a bit daunting for new users.

Comment

Ok. downloaded .deb one, doubled clicked, got this error:

Status: Error Dependency is not satisfiable: Kdebase-runtime

Thanks for this help.
                      L.A.

Comment

Guess I'm stuck here, been trying several things. I may try to compile the tar. Might as well try to learn how now.

Comment

BEFORE YOU TRY TO DOWNLOAD;

sudo apt-get update

Your box doesn't know where to look or what to look for if you don't.

Comment

You should really have a look at this site;

http://www.kubuntuguide.org/Hardy

It will be a big help.

Comment

actually compiling may not be too hard. There are some basic instructions in the tar, but here are the steps you will need to follow

First, you will need to uninstall your exixsting rkward package.
                              Then install the build dependencies for rkward:
                              in a terminal. enter this:
                              Code:
                              sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get build-dep rkward
                              this will pull in a lot of packages, most are pretty small though

Once that is done, you need to extract to contents of rkward-0.5.0c.tar.gz using ark
                              then browse to the folder you extracted: rkward-0.5.0c

Then hit f4 to open a terminal at the bottom of your Dolphin window (you may have to click somewhere in dolphin if it does not have focus)Now, in that terminal, type the following:
                              Code:
                              cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config --prefix`
                              don't forget the 'dot' in there
                              then, check for any error messages
                              next, type:
                              Code:
                              make
                              Note any error if it doesn't complete: there is often a missing bit not covered by the apt-get build-dep part. This may clue us as to what is missing, if there is a problem

if there are no errors, type:
                              Code:
                              sudo make install
                              and you are done. You should have

Comment

Working...
                              X