This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do I find kde4 location?

The answer is probably obvious if you already know it, but I don't and can't seem to find the answer. I'm installing lemonpos from a tarball and it seems fairly straightforward:

cd trunk
    mkdir build
    cd build
    cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/kde4 .. #here you put your path to kde4.
    make
    su
    make install

The hitch is that I don't know how to find "kde4" on my machine. There are a ton of folders and files associated with kde4. I would really like to get this right the first time and maybe not botch something up. Maybe I'll even learn something.

Re: how do I find kde4 location?

I think the answer is /usr, but I might be wrong. In the directions it might talk about "Directory that contains share,lib ..." you will find /usr/share/kde4, /usr/lib/kde4. I hope this helps.

Comment

Helps a little, maybe...
      I'm concerned that if I get this wrong it will just dump a bunch of files in the wrong place and junk everything up. Doesn't seem like a good trial-and-error sort of thing. I should have posted the "complete" instructions the first time. For what it is worth, maybe this means something to you (or someone else):

* The basic instructions are:

cd trunk
      mkdir build
      cd build
      cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/kde4 .. #here you put your path to kde4.
      make
      su
      make install

Now, copy the lemonrc file to your local .kde/share/config directory:

cp trunk/src/lemonrc /home/USER/.kde4/share/config/ #Replace USER with your username.

Comment

Actually if you give it a wrong value it will only fail to build with a bunch of messages about not finding libraries. it is perfectly permissible to try and fail.

Is there a reason you are not using the prebuilt package from the repositories? Even if you do not use them they will certainly provide you a template for building under Debian/Ububtu.

Comment

Am I looking for the executable files here? They live at; /usr/lib/kde4/lib/kde4/libexec on my machine.

Then there is: /usr/lib/kde4/share/kde4/apps where a bunch of application folders live, but no executables.

I also have: /home/spyder79/.kde4/ (where the files are hidden).

I did try the prebuilt package, but it wouldn't run. From what I've read, this application is under rapid development and the developer recommends using the latest version that fixes a lot of previous bugs, as well as adding features that aren't upgradeable from older version without data loss.

Comment

This suggest to me that /usr/lib is the prefix you are looking for. Many packages will install into prefix/package/share and lib and etc and maybe more. If you have source lines enabled in you /etc/apt/sources.list file you can install the source with
            apt-get source lemonpos
            This will provide you with the source used to build the current Kubuntu package, including the Makefiles that the package maintainer used for the packaged version. This will allow you to see what they did.

My experience has been that Point of Sale systems are fairly complex and failure to run is more often a configuration issue than a bad build issue. In fact I often rely on the Debian build to help me when learning to configure a new system like this. While it is almost certainly true that once you can configure and run the system you would be well advised to use the most recent version the first step is learning to work with the program. If I am misreading your experience level with lemonpos I apologize.

Comment

That sounds right on target, and a good piece of advice. I so very rarely have need to do any command line work that the little experience I get seems to evaporate with time. Having boondoggled my system a couple of times makes me cautious. I'll take your suggestion and see where it takes me. Thanks so much for your assist.

Comment

KDE (3xx, 4xx or etc) was a bundle of program and it was a desktop environment just like GNOME or XFCE. If you want find KDE library, you should find kdelibs (e.g. kdelibs5 for KDE4) package (but unfortunetely it was a binary package). In your case, you are about compiling a program from a source code and you should look about devel library, not a binary package of KDE as just installed on Kubuntu.

Comment

Okay, that adds to my understanding as well. If I understand you, lemonpos doesn't actually need the KDE4 desktop to operate, it just depends on the development libraries? That would make a lot of sense. The developer makes a lot of assumptions when writing directions for installation. Not all of us are software developers or people who spend all their spare time pounding the keys.

Comment

Working...
                  X