Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to create a language pack for 'buntu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to create a language pack for 'buntu?

Would I need to get some nasty apps to do the job after struggling for hours or days? How difficult is it? I was just thinking I might like to make a new language pack in my own, eh, conlang (stands for constructed language)...

I know it's crazy. but I've seen some "uncommon" things in the Linux environment so why not ask if it's possible or not?
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Re: Is it possible to create a language pack for 'buntu?

> Launchpad Help > Translations tells:
    Overview

Using Launchpad, you can translate free software projects and distribution packages into your own language. All you need are your Launchpad account and a web browser. There's no special software and in most cases you don't need to join a team to get started...
    There are > Translations. I didn't find > constructed language/conlang but maybe soon ?

For the KDE there is > KDE Localization
    Welcome to the KDE Localization web site, the platform for KDE translators, doc writers, XML wizards, and everybody working on Internationalization [i18n], Localization [l10n], and documentation of KDE.

What you will find here are resources for practical translation and documentation work, such as:...

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks, I didn't thought it wasn't THAT difficult, it may be just a matter of how much patience do I have.
      Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
      Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
      Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
      Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by kyonides
        Would I need to get some nasty apps to do the job after struggling for hours or days? How difficult is it? I was just thinking I might like to make a new language pack in my own, eh, conlang (stands for constructed language)...

I know it's crazy. but I've seen some "uncommon" things in the Linux environment so why not ask if it's possible or not?
        Not crazy at all.

KDE4 uses gettext and i18n/p and .po files.

But, KDE4 is written using QT4, and will run pure QT4 applications. And, QT4 includes a utility called "Qt-Linguist". Using Qt-Linguist you can create and add your own "language pack" to any app by mapping the given word in the base language (usually English) to the equivalent word/phrase in your own language. There is a class in QT4 called "QTranslator" and in that class is a method called "tr()". A description of that class and its properties is at http://doc.trolltech.com/4.5/qtranslator.html So, QT4 uses its own tr()/tr().arg().arg() mechanism and .ts/.qm files.

Here is a simple main.cpp program which illustrates how it is used:

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
        {
        QApplication app(argc, argv);

QTranslator translator;
        translator.load("hellotr_la");
        app.installTranslator(&translator);

QPushButton hello(QPushButton::tr("Hello world!"));
        hello.resize(100, 30);

hello.show();
        return app.exec();
        }
        In the pushbutton object, "hello", the "tr" function is used to call the equivalently mapped expression to the phrase "Hello World" in the language loaded by the translator.load() function.

Here is the manual to the QT4.5 Linguist:
        http://doc.trolltech.com/4.5/linguist-manual.html
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X