Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I install things that ive downloaded?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I install things that ive downloaded?

Ok. So im a complete noob to linux (Im using Kubuntu) and I was wondering how I install things that ive downloaded. For example ive downloaded Azureus and all i can do is open the file in ark and thats it. Bit of help guys?

Thanks.

Re: How do I install things that ive downloaded?

Get synaptic package manager. K-Menu ,applications. System, Package Manager(Add/Remove) in the search field type in syanaptic and check Box next to the Package then Apply to Install. Then You can usr Synaptic to install Azureus.
    By the way you should have Ktorrent already Installed.
    Gilgib

Comment

Thanks for that. although I cannot find Azureus in the synaptic package manager when I search.

Is there a way to install things from the files that ive downloaded off the net?

Comment

Originally posted by Darkfusion

Is there a way to install things from the files that ive downloaded off the net?
        The answer is "Yes", but the advice is, don't do it, for awhile. Use the repositories and apt-get or synaptic or kpackagekit until you have mastered more of your Linux system. I'm not trying to talk down or to be patronizing -- if it turns out you really need to install from a downloaded tarball, that is certainly a teachable skill. But the fact that you are new to Linux also means you don't know very much about the 26,000 packages that are available in the standard repositories. Check out what you already have available, and then post back if you have a need that is not already met by existing repo packages. There are a lot of risks and techniques involved in installing downloaded packages, and you can break your system pretty easily.

p.s. Open a Konsole window and enter
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update && apt-get install azureus
        and then press Enter and enter your password to complete the command.

Comment

In addition to what Dibl advised, bear in mind that when you install applications that are not in the repository you INCREASE your chance of messing up your installation, and you REDUCE your chances that someone on the forum can help you recover from a self-inflicted mess.

Using foreign packages (which are not vetted like those in the repositories) creates additional burdens on those who attempt to offer help, clogging the forums with frustrated users who often resort to "Linux Stinks" posts in a desperate attempt to bait helpers into offering additional help when past offerings have not rectified their situation. Sometimes these noobs will not divulge, or do not recognize, important information that could/would lead to an immediate fix. "Oh, did it matter that I was attempting to plug my laptop into my Toaster?"
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek

"Oh, did it matter that I was attempting to plug my laptop into my Toaster?"

Good one!

Comment

After reading this i will stick to the repositories until i know what the hell im doing. Thanks
              • [li]ASUS M3N78-VM Motherboard[/li][li]AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Ed.[/li][li]WD 640GB HDD[/li][li]Corsair XMS2 4GB RAM[/li][li]LG DVR+RW[/li][li]Kubuntu 8.10 64bit & XP Home[/li]

Comment

Yeah same.

Comment

Working...
                X