This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing mplayer

Hey, i'm pretty new to the linux world. Not having the easiest time, but still enjoying it.

So i'm trying to install mplayer in order to then install the firefox plugin, and i'm following multiple online guides.

I have the code, codecs, and skins downloaded, now i just have to extract/configure/make...etc.

I'm having a hard time extracting the code (.tar.bz2). Here's what i'm putting into konsole, and the error i'm getting:

genaro@theG:/root/tmp$ tar xjf MPlayer-1.0rc2.tar.bz2
    tar: MPlayer-1.0rc2.tar.bz2: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

it's probably really simple but... it's my second day, haha.

Re: installing mplayer

You are going about it the hard way. This is Debian, well Kubuntu, which is built on Debian.
    aptitude search mplayer
    shows a few things to install.
    sudo aptitude install kmplayer mozilla-mplayer mplayer
    should get you what you want.

Actually it occurs to me that you may not have yet added the Ubuntu Multimedia repository to your sources so if you haven't go to http://medibuntu.org/andf follow the easy directions.

Comment

mando_hacker is quite right. You are going about it the hard way.

For guidance have a look at "Installing Software in Ubuntu" on http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware and "How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu!" on http://amitech.50webs.com/installing/index.php.html

As psychocats says: "Most Windows users who migrate to Ubuntu end up confused about software installation. They go to a website, download a .tar.gz file, double-click it, and don't see a Next-Next-Next-Finish wizard. This tutorial is intended to introduce you to the preferred methods of software installation in Ubuntu.

Rather than leaving it up to the user to track down installer files and keep applications updated, Ubuntu (like many other Linux distributions) has a software package management system that provides a searchable database of easily installable applications (like an online shopping cart but the software is cost-free), which it will download and install for you with a few clicks. "
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

As the mando_hacker & arochester said there is the safe & easy way: repositories.

> Topic: FAQ: Repositories

but if you want to do it yourself or want to use the bleeding edge there are allways that option. For the Jaunty > HowTo: Install the very latest MPlayer under Jaunty Jackalope
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
        X