This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu to windows

I installed the Kubuntu into my computer and i wanted to know if there is a way to reinstall windows from the memory. If it is possible can anyone give me some advice? Why you might ask? well originally I wanted to run both operating systems on the same computer, but when I installed the Kubuntu, I must have repartitioned incorrectly so that the computer only runs on Kubuntu, furthermore I want to upgrade to the Kubuntu 8.1, which I saw my friend has and looks pretty kool. I am currently running the 4.1 on a 64 bit system and want to know if it is possible to do any of these things.

Re: Kubuntu to windows

It depends which one you want as the main system, really. I would firstly check that you have in fact wiped out windows completely, rather than make it inaccessible. That should be fairly easy by checking the size of your Linux partitions- if there are no NTFS/FAT partitions there then Windows has gone. If there then you may be able to regain access by fixing the Master Boot Record.

If you have zapped it and you want to do a full-blown dual-boot system then you can start all over again by installing Windows from scratch and then linux. This is because if there is no FAT/NTFS partition there windows will wipe out kubuntu. Then you can do the installation of 'buntu. However, can I strongly recommend you do your partitioning with the live CD before you do the installation (the package is gparted or qparted) as it's far less risky than doing as part of the installation process. You leave far less to chance. Alternatively you could resize your LInux partitions with the live cd to create a new NTFS partition and install windows into that. Windows should not overwrite 'buntu although you will need to be a bit of tweaking after the install as Windows will tell the system it's the only one around.

An alternative, possibly. Like many who make the switch and enjoy Linux you may well find that your use of Windows will reduce week on week, possibly settling at one or 2 key applications. If this is likely you might want linux as your main system. In that case you are in luck because you can if you wish save yourself a load of effort, by installing virtualbox from the repositories which, when run, will create a virtual machine (VM). You can then install windows into the VM so you can run a windows session from within 'buntu without having to reboot. You can install your important windows progs pretty much as normal. Only you will know whether that is right for you. You don't need drivers for graphics, sound card etc as the VM supplies them

You need a reasonable machine, although a VM runs fine on my Dell 630m Laptop (the only concession I made was to increase the RAM). I find it a very neat solution. Might be worth a try before carving up the hard drive.

Food for thought I hope

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Lost
      I installed the Kubuntu into my computer and i wanted to know if there is a way to reinstall windows from the memory. If it is possible can anyone give me some advice? Why you might ask? well originally I wanted to run both operating systems on the same computer, but when I installed the Kubuntu, I must have repartitioned incorrectly so that the computer only runs on Kubuntu, furthermore I want to upgrade to the Kubuntu 8.1, which I saw my friend has and looks pretty kool. I am currently running the 4.1 on a 64 bit system and want to know if it is possible to do any of these things.
      These days you would NEVER do things that way - and no, you can not reinstall windows from the memory.

After you recovered Windows - using your recovery CD or partition, I hope you learn not to try that again.

If all you want is to play around, download a software call VirtualBox (from Sun Computer) and install Kubuntu as a virtual machine and play with it that way.

Comment

I think the WUBI installer would be easier for the OP than setting up VirtualBox.

http://wubi-installer.org/
        sigpic
        "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
        -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
        X