X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: missing Network Settings

Originally posted by mando_hacker
    Progress.
    I think you need to create a smbpassword for each user as root. After that each user could change their own.
    sudo smbpasswd user1
    should get it.
    I tried that. It says:

Failed to modify password entry for user xxx

Comment

Progress.
      I think you need to create a smbpassword for each user as root. After that each user could change their own.
      sudo smbpasswd user1
      should get it.
      Tried:

sudo smbpasswd user1

no good. Tried:

sudo smbpasswd -a user1

It added the user but still can't write to the shared drive. Access denied.

Comment

Trying it under Konqueror as indicated by:

So far you have only "enabled" sharing. Now, to set up shares, you need either to log in as each user or better still run Konqueror as root. Press Alt-F2 to bring up the Run dialog. Enter , and click Options -> Run as different user. Choose root, and enter your password. In Konqueror, browse to /home and right-click on a folder. Go to Properties -> Share -> Configure File Sharing -> OK. Check Simple Sharing, and click Add. Browse to find the folder in question and click OK. Select Share with Samba. Under Samba Options, make the folder Writeable, and under More Samba Options, set Public, Browsable and Available. Return to /home, and click the Reload button. The folder should now have a hand symbol indicating that it is shared. Repeat this with other folders.
        But when I click "Configure File Sharing", nothing happens...

Comment

I have no experience at all with using konqueror for this so I will mostly ignore the last post.
          Is the samba server running? Have you possibly configure it to run from inetd? NAve you restarted the daemon after you edited the smb.conf file?

Try
          sudo invoke-rc.d samba restart
          Then see is it is running with
          ps axf
          That should show something like this
          12492 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/sbin/nmbd -D
          12495 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
          12499 ? S 0:00 \_ /usr/sbin/smbd -D

Comment

Is the samba server running? Have you possibly configure it to run from inetd? NAve you restarted the daemon after you edited the smb.conf file?

Try
            sudo invoke-rc.d samba restart
            Then see is it is running with
            ps axf
            That should show something like this
            12492 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/sbin/nmbd -D
            12495 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
            12499 ? S 0:00 \_ /usr/sbin/smbd -D
            Yes, Samba is running. Have no idea what inetd is. Yes, I did restart Samba (every step of the way). ps axf showed those lines and a whole lot more.

Still no write access....

Comment

You will have to get smbpasswd to work to get write access. It is probably letting you in as guest at the moment. It is strange that won't run. That is why I thought the smbd might not be running. I had not enabled samba on my newly installed Jaunty system yet and I just did it exactly as we have discussed with no problems at all. I tried to mount a user share without running smbpasswd and it failed. Without even closing that dialog I ran smbpasswd and it let me in.

Comment

You will have to get smbpasswd to work to get write access. It is probably letting you in as guest at the moment. It is strange that won't run. That is why I thought the smbd might not be running. I had not enabled samba on my newly installed Jaunty system yet and I just did it exactly as we have discussed with no problems at all. I tried to mount a user share without running smbpasswd and it failed. Without even closing that dialog I ran smbpasswd and it let me in.
                It did. I just had to use the "-a" command option. Still, no write access.

Comment

You got me stumped.

Comment

You got me stumped.
                    Damn! I am thisssssssssssssss close!

Comment

Working...
                    X