• Time
  • Show
Clear All

missing Network Settings

I am still struggling trying to get to network setting. GreyGeek said:

Originally posted by GreyGeek

You can use ALT+F2 to open a Konsole and then enter
    sudo systemsettings
    You will be asked for your account password. The "Network" Icon is on the "General" tab. The forth icon in the left panel is the "Manager", used to connect to your wired or wireless network. However, usually an cat5 connection from a wireless router to your eth0 port will connect automatically without doing anything. A wireless connection will have to be configured using the "Manager". The Manager is also on your panel in the lower right corner, next to the date and time, if you haven't moved them around.
    My response:

sudo systemsettings

brings up the same window as before. There is no "Network" icon - only "Network Settings" and "Sharing". In the "Network Settings", there's Proxy, Connection Pref, and Service Discovery. No "Manager".

I need to set non-DHCP, get to Samba settings and so forth. Anybody?

Re: missing Network Settings

There are a lot of threads on this forum right now about how to set up networks, because there are many options, The easiest GUI solution is wicd, although if you are talking ethernet on a desktop it might be best to uninstall network-manager and edit /etc/network/interfaces.

To create samb shares edit /etc/samba/smb.conf. There may be some GUI for this.

To browse samba shares try smb4k. It is pretty slick.

Comment

Originally posted by mando_hacker
      There are a lot of threads on this forum right now about how to set up networks, because there are many options, The easiest GUI solution is wicd, although if you are talking ethernet on a desktop it might be best to uninstall network-manager and edit /etc/network/interfaces.

To create samb shares edit /etc/samba/smb.conf. There may be some GUI for this.

To browse samba shares try smb4k. It is pretty slick.
      I am very familiar with setting up networks and it shouldn't be that difficult. If you look at:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005985

it appears the process is pretty straight forward under the old kcontrol but I have not been able to get to the screen in that article... it's fustrating

Comment

Being New I had similar problems. Network Manager is in the bottom right of the screen.
        If you right click and select new Connection.

If you network a couple of pc's you have to set up /etc/samba/smb.conf
        I found out that if you need windows pc to see Kubunto on the network you have to install the complete Samba package. To access Samba shares is under k- menu, computer, Network

gilgib

Comment

Originally posted by GilGib
          Being New I had similar problems. Network Manager is in the bottom right of the screen.
          If you right click and select new Connection.

If you network a couple of pc's you have to set up /etc/samba/smb.conf
          I found out that if you need windows pc to see Kubunto on the network you have to install the complete Samba package. To access Samba shares is under k- menu, computer, Network

gilgib
          Network Manager is unusable on my machine. When I start it, I get this icon (looks like a globe) on the launch pad but when I click it, it pops up a menu with no text at all - just a list of icons. I blindly clicked one of them, a connections window came up. I check "Use Manaual IP configuration" and tried to enter an IP address but it only allow 2 digit for the first part (can't type 192). The others are "Notification Settings" and such. Nothing useful.

Comment

Would you like to get your network working or do you only want a particular GUI?

Comment

Would you like to get your network working or do you only want a particular GUI?
              Either one will do. I tried to edit smb.conf but Kate can't save the file.

I am not trying to do anything fancy - just a simple file server for the Window XP machines.

Thanks,

Comment

Do you have ethernet or are you trying to use wireless?

Comment

Do you have ethernet or are you trying to use wireless?
                  Just ethernet. I can get to the Internet from this machine, and I am seeing the Windows machines.

I also tried:

kdesu kate /etc/samba/smb.conf

Nothing happens.

Comment

Nothing happens? do you mean you are still unable to save changes?

Comment

Nothing happens? do you mean you are still unable to save changes?
                      Correct. Nothing happened. No effect.

Comment

It's kdesudo kate or use sudo kate
                        gilgib

Comment

Originally posted by GilGib
                          It's kdesudo kate or use sudo kate
                          gilgib
                          Ah, that works. At least I can set things up manually.

Thanks,

Comment

Almost there...

I can now see the kubuntu machine from Windows XP. I added each of the Windows users to the kubuntu machine by doing adduser. I can now do a map from the windows side and I have access to the kubuntu drive. But I can't create files. I have "security = share", "read only = no" and "locking = no" in smb.conf. Do I need "sudo smbpasswd -a -m COMPUTER_NAME"? I tried that and it failed to modify passwd entry.

Comment

Progress.
                              I think you need to create a smbpassword for each user as root. After that each user could change their own.
                              sudo smbpasswd user1
                              should get it.

Comment

Working...
                              X