X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is kcontrol?

Hi all,

I have never used Linux before but I have a need for a simple file server for home use. I found the page http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005985 and installed kubuntu. No problem there. However, there is no kcontrol (using Alt-F2 -> kcontrol). Tried sudo to install kcontrol. No luck.

So, how do I get to the Network Settings ?

And how do I activate a USB hard drive? After I plugged it in, the recently added hardware shows them there. But how do I partition and format the drive?

Thanks,

Re: Where is kcontrol?

Kcontrol is now "System Settings" for the KDE4 versions of kubuntu.

I don't know what people are recommending these days for partitioning and formatting hard drives... GParted is available and has worked for me to do some basic stuff, but perhaps you should re-ask the question with a better subject line. Good luck to you!

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab

I don't know what people are recommending these days for partitioning and formatting hard drives... GParted is available
      I really like the new Parted Magic. Get it here:

http://partedmagic.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        I really like the new Parted Magic. Get it here:

http://partedmagic.com/
        Isn't that a tool you boot into though? Perhaps overkill for formatting an external hard drive Or are there some additional tools that wouldn't be available on GParted?

Comment

Originally posted by ecs1749
          Hi all,

I have never used Linux before but I have a need for a simple file server for home use. I found the page http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005985 and installed kubuntu. No problem there. However, there is no kcontrol (using Alt-F2 -> kcontrol). Tried sudo to install kcontrol. No luck.

So, how do I get to the Network Settings ?

And how do I activate a USB hard drive? After I plugged it in, the recently added hardware shows them there. But how do I partition and format the drive?

Thanks,
          You can use ALT+F2 to open a Konsole and then enter
          sudo systemsettings
          You will be asked for your account password. The "Network" Icon is on the "General" tab. The forth icon in the left panel is the "Manager", used to connect to your wired or wireless network. However, usually an cat5 connection from a wireless router to your eth0 port will connect automatically without doing anything. A wireless connection will have to be configured using the "Manager". The Manager is also on your panel in the lower right corner, next to the date and time, if you haven't moved them around.

The repository contains an app called "gparted". Install it and learn how to use it by reading this manual:
          http://gparted.sourceforge.net/manua...ed_manual.html
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

"You can use ALT+F2 to open a Konsole and then enter
            sudo systemsettings"

Did that. Nothing happened.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek

The repository contains an app called "gparted". Install it and learn how to use it by reading this manual:
              Downloaded and unzipped to Documents. But how do I install it? There are no exe that I can find - only a makeboot.sh file under utils > linux...

Sorry for all the newbie questions.

Comment

Downloaded and unzipped to Documents. But how do I install it? There are no exe that I can find - only a makeboot.sh file under utils > linux...

Sorry for all the newbie questions.
                Got. Adept Gparted

Thanks,

Comment

sudo systemsettings
                  You will be asked for your account password. The "Network" Icon is on the "General" tab. The forth icon in the left panel is the "Manager", used to connect to your wired or wireless network. However, usually an cat5 connection from a wireless router to your eth0 port will connect automatically without doing anything. A wireless connection will have to be configured using the "Manager". The Manager is also on your panel in the lower right corner, next to the date and time, if you haven't moved them around.
                  sudo systemsettings

brings up the same window as before. There is no "Network" icon - only "Network Settings" and "Sharing". In the "Network Settings", there's Proxy, Connection Pref, and Service Discovery. No "Manager".

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab

Isn't that a tool you boot into though? Perhaps overkill for formatting an external hard drive Or are there some additional tools that wouldn't be available on GParted?
                    It is a bootable CD, that loads an OS and the tool packages 100% into RAM, and then ejects. So it's not really a "Live CD" because it doesn't run from the CD. It's primary function is obviously as a partitioning tool, but it has some other tools that I haven't used. It's worth a look, IMHO.

If you only want to observe your partitions, how full they are, etc., then the new Kinfocenter for KDE 4 provides a very nice graphical display.

Comment

sudo systemsettings
                      sudo systemsettings

brings up the same window as before. There is no "Network" icon - only "Network Settings" and "Sharing". In the "Network Settings", there's Proxy, Connection Pref, and Service Discovery. No "Manager".
                      mmm... I just completed a fresh install of Kubuntu 9.04 beta, followed by 286 updates. The "Manager" icon is there.
                      Did you delete it?
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

sudo systemsettings
                        sudo systemsettings

mmm... I just completed a fresh install of Kubuntu 9.04 beta, followed by 286 updates. The "Manager" icon is there.
                        Did you delete it?

No, I didn't delete it.

Comment

Did you delete it?

No, I didn't delete it.
                          Then, perhaps, you haven't installed it. Right mouse on the panel and chose "panel options", then chose "Add Widgets". Look for a widget in the list called "Network Manager". Double click on it. Or, select it and click the "Ass Widgets" button at the bottom. Now the "Network Manager" should be in the systemsettings app AND should be a new icon button on your panel. Click on it and it will display wireless networks in the vicinity, and any ethx connection you may have. Right mouse to see configuration options, or go to the SystemSettings and configure from there.

Comment

Did you delete it?

No, I didn't delete it.
                            Then, perhaps, you haven't installed it. Right mouse on the panel and chose "panel options", then chose "Add Widgets". Look for a widget in the list called "Network Manager". Double click on it. Or, select it and click the "Ass Widgets" button at the bottom. Now the "Network Manager" should be in the systemsettings app AND should be a new icon button on your panel. Click on it and it will display wireless networks in the vicinity, and any ethx connection you may have. Right mouse to see configuration options, or go to the SystemSettings and configure from there.

"Right mouse on the panel" - which panel. I tried "System Settings" -> "Network Settings" and right clicked everywhere. There is no "Panel option"?

Regards,

Comment

"Right mouse on the panel" - which panel. I tried "System Settings" -> "Network Settings" and right clicked everywhere. There is no "Panel option"?

Regards,
                              There is only one panel on the KDE4 desktop (after a fresh install, unless you add more). The panel is that blue band at the bottom of the screen. It has the K-gears icon on the left, a folder icon with a gold star on it just to the right, and a bunch more icons on the right, including the date and time. On the panel is a little black box with three or four small icons in it ( usually Kmix, wallet, clipboard, bluetooth). See it now?

Comment

Working...
                              X