This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X11 help

I've done something and now startx just shows a the cursor over the white/black pixel screen.

The error message is that it can't find the cyrillic font in the given path. However when I edit the xorg.conf file to remove that line it still gives the error message. If I remove that entire section it just hands at the screen (ctrl + alt+ f1 to get to terminal shows no error message just "using xorg.conf")

I've tried X -configure and copied that file over the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file but still includes the cyrillic which is causing the problem.

I've tried sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg but this just creates a nearly empty xorg.conf file and just sits there.

Anyone have any ideas?

Re: X11 help

The font messages are not a problem. It sounds like x is actually starting but nothing is running. Without a window manager to start up you won't get much. Does the mouse cursor move? Does /var/log/Xorg.0.log indicate a problem? Look at the end of the file.

Instead of startx use
    sudo invoke-rc.d kdm start
    and see if KDM starts.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

I used the invoke-rc.d kdm start command and got a /etc/init.d/kdm not found. It looks like it may have gotten deleted somehow or either that command is not looking in the right location? Very unusual problem because it was working fine and then I restart and its not. I might have done a apt-get update before restart but I can't remember. I think I'll just attempt a clean install, thanks for the help though!

Comment

Don't give up so easily. try
        sudo aptitude update
        followed by
        sudo aptitude -f full-upgrade
        be sure this finishes cleanly, especially if it brings down a lot of packages. Run it again until it does nothing. Then
        sudo aptitude -f install kde
        and
        sudo aptitude -f install kdm
        This will get you very close if not totally restored. You might have to install proprietary video drivers after this.

Comment

Working...
        X