X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any good software for .rar files?

Hi

I miss the winrar functionality in windows. The default "Ark" that comes with kubuntu is pretty basic. I cannot just double click on something within the ark window and expect it to decompress and open up with the default reader for that file (example: I download a lot of ebooks ... and I prefer to keep the pdf's compressed within the .rar files rather than extracting them to a disk somewhere).

Any other software better than Ark ?

Re: Any good software for .rar files?

What KDE version are you using?
    I have no problem doing this using KDE4.2's Ark. (or previous versions for that matter)

Are you getting any error messages or anything?
    Perhaps the file association for pdf's are wrong. That would be one place to check, in System Settings

Ark (and most linux archive gui tools) are basically graphical front ends to all the separate command-line archiving tools used. file-roller is gnome's tool, and there are others such as xarchiver.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
      What KDE version are you using?
      I have no problem doing this using KDE4.2's Ark. (or previous versions for that matter)
      I'm using kde 4.1. The Ark in this definitely does not allow me to just double click on a file inside a rar. I have to "extract" the rar file before I can open the pdf files (extraction is a pain as I have to specify the folder ... browse to the correct folder etc). There is no problem with file associations since double clicking on the uncompressed pdf file opens it with okular.

Maybe the 4.2 kde version of ark is better equipped to do this.

Comment

i can't contest for ark handleing rars as you would like, how ever i can say kde4.2 is much better then 4.1

upgrade instructions can be found here
        http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2
        for step 3 your gonna want to remove the package "libplasma2"
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

What I've found works good is Winrar. This is one of my left over Windows apps that I run with Wine. I had a licensed copy, so I figure why not. I wasn't a big fan on how Ark handles rar files.

Comment

Working...
          X