Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! NVidia X Drivers not running any more ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! NVidia X Drivers not running any more ...

Hi
    I had Kubuntu 8.10 with NVidia 177 drivers on my dell laptop.

I had recently booted kubuntu 8.10 in recovvery mode where I did an XFix option (I was getting some blue streaks at boot up time [just before the "x" followed by splash screen shows]). Not only did that "not" fix the blue-streaks problem, but my fonts and windows appearances seemed to have changed to default (when I first installed kubuntu). When I try to run (from start menu) "Nvidia X Server Settings", I get the following message:

You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.

Questions:
    a) I ran "sudo nvidia-xconfig" (I'm assuming that's how u run something as root). Other than making a backup of my /etc/x11/xconf.org file, it didn't seem to do anything. So how do I edit the X configuration file.

b) How do I stop and restart my X server ?

Are my Nvidia 177 driver screwed up now? Do I need to reinstall nvidia 177 drivers ?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Help! NVidia X Drivers not running any more ...

You seem to have done exactly what you should have so far. There are few differences in the xorg.conf after nvidia-xconfig but it must say
    Driver "nvidia"

to restart the Xserver you should use Ctl-Alt-F1 to get to a terminal login. Then login and run
    sudo invoke-rc.d kdm restart
    It will show a couple lines of output and then start KDM on vt7. Login and you are there.

Comment

Working...
    X